Craftsman ground drive belt

Old 04-07-04, 06:34 PM
Craftsman ground drive belt

Ok, Cheese, or someone.

Sears Craftsman 18.5 HP Lawn Tractor: replacing ground drive belt.
I've got the belt, hopefully the correct one, 138255 (130801).

It is the upper most belt and I think we can wrestle it on. I'm thinking of standing the tractor up on it's two hind legs(wheels).
My X-Marine son is gonna lift it up!!

Can I replace this belt without removing the mower deck??
Any special tricks for this one?

fred

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-04, 06:42 PM
You should not have to lift a lawn tractor up to change a belt. I have never had to do that but of course never had a sears lawn tractor though. You should be able to just let the deck down and get in there and slip the new belt on the pullies. If there is some kind of specially way to do this than Cheese will respond at the end of the day. Thanks for your patiants.

Old 04-07-04, 07:15 PM
Fred

If you would post your tractor model number we could give you better info.

Rogerh

Old 04-07-04, 08:21 PM
Oops, thought i did: 917.272030

The Owner's manual has dir. on all belts except thr motion drive.

fred

Old 04-08-04, 12:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Fred!

You shouldn't have to stand the mower up to change the belt. Lowering the deck should give enough clearance to change it. You'll probably have to loosen one of the idler pulley bolts to allow the belt to fit between the pulley and the belt keeper. It's a fairly easy job to me, but I do them often enough to be very familiar with the job.

The main thing...use the clutch pedal to your advantage. Sometimes having the pedal locked down will help, other times having it released will help. Make sure you install the new belt on the engine pulley first, then the 2 idler pulleys, and then the transmission pulley last.

Old 04-08-04, 05:09 AM
Thanx Cheese, guys.

Standing the mower up was a bit of an exaggeration - thought it would be easier while almost standing as opposed to lying on my side looking up. I'm gonna try and do it w/o lowering the deck.
The clutch pedal position, I'm sure, is a good tip.

Thanks again,
fred

Old 04-08-04, 11:28 AM
Fred;

The belt you have 138255 (130801) checks out and should be the right one. If you can take the deck off without any problem it would be much easyer replacing the drive belt. The belt retainer sometimes makes it hard to get the belt around the electric PTO clutch. On some of these tractors I have had to remove that electric clutch to get the belt replaced. Be sure the wiring for the clutch is clear when your done. Your right the clutch peddle must be depressed and locked to change the belt. Be sure the belt retainers on the transaxle pulley just clear the belt. The have to be really close to the belt to hold the belt in the pulley when the clutch is depressed. Good luck.

Rogerh

Old 04-11-04, 08:16 PM
So how did it go?

Old 04-11-04, 08:53 PM
Hey, Since you asked, we did it this morning!!

It went pretty good, but there was a hitch. The clutch assemply on the shaft had a 'keeper' pin attached to a bracket which we had to take off the frame to get the drive belt over. And we removed one idler pulley and then replaced it fairly easy.
Even got the underside of the deck scraped(alot of caked grass), and I lightly touched up the blades.

And remember that X-Marine I mentioned. Well, we both did it all in a standing position. Turned that sucker right up on it's hind legs(wheels locked). To me, it made it much easier.
What surprised me most!!! It started right up in about 30 seconds!!

Thanks, all
fred

Old 04-11-04, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed!