Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs 16hp no spark

Visiting Guest

04-08-04, 05:20 PM   #1  
lawpressman
briggs 16hp no spark

help, i have a 16hp briggs twin about a 1975. was running good and then it quit. now their is no spark, we check all the wires looked good. this motor has no points, just a coil on the right side looking at the flywheel. i check it with a meter and from the input wire to groung it is a dead short.
do i need a new coil? oh the coil is the type that has 2 spark plug wires coming out of 1 coil.

thanks larry

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-08-04, 05:42 PM   #2  
Hello: Larry. Welcome to the Small Engine forum.

It is possible the ignition coil died. But before replacing it or looking for problems in all the wrong places, try testing across the kill switch. Also acrss any safety device switches.

Chances are one of those devices may be constantly grounded or contantly opened depending on how it is used in the electrical system.

Use an ohm meter for continuity testing. Take notes if needed. Post back the results. You may find something as simple as a bad connection, defective switch, etc.

It's the simple things to check first before we assume the coil is defective or any other costly part is defective. Good idea to check simple things first, since the engine died suddenly.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Use the reply button to update the question. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-09-04, 12:19 AM   #3  
Hello Larry!

Here's a quick test to tell if you need a new coil or not. Get a new spark plug and connect it to the lead. Lay the plug in such a manner so that it touches metal on the engine. Unplug the small black wire that is plugged under the coil. Try cranking the engine while watching for spark. If you have no spark, you need a coil. If you do have spark, then you have another problem, like a safety switch, shorted kill wire to the coil, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-09-04, 05:44 AM   #4  
lawpressman
coil check

WELL, I TRYED YOUR IDEA OF UNPLUGING THE SMALL COIL WIRE. BUT STILL NO SPARK. GOING TO BUY A NEW COIL AND INSTALL SOON.
THANKS I THINK WE ARE ON TO SOMETHING.
LARRY

Visiting Guest

04-09-04, 06:15 PM   #5  
lawpressman
motor runs

THANKS A LOT, WE BOUGHT A NEW COIL FOR $52 AND INSTALLED IT. THE MOTOR RUNS GOOD NOW.
THANKS SO MUCH LARRY WOOD

04-09-04, 07:26 PM   #6  
Glad you got it fixed. I had a feeling it was the coil.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-04, 12:27 AM   #7  
Great! Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread