riding mower NO BRAKES!!

Old 04-09-04, 01:01 PM
meyoung524
Visiting Guest
craftsman riding mower NO BRAKES!!

i have craftsman 13.5 hp 30 inch rideing mower with no BRAKES!!
MODEL NO 536.270212
i need some help. i have already hit the fence 3 times. any ideas as where to start to solve this problem. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-04, 03:09 PM
Yikes! No Brakes

This is a unit manufactured by Murray for Sears. Look under the frame on the right side of the machine. You will see a long rod (3/8" diameter) running from the brake pedal back to the brake assembly. At the rear part of this rod you will notice that it is threaded. This threaded part runs through what is called a ferule. This is how you will get adjustment. There will be a pin through the ferule holding it in place to its corresponding bracket. Remove the pin and thread the ferule further onto the rod. Note: At the point toward the front of the aforementioned rod will be a spring between it and the brake pedal - be sure this is in one piece as well. Let us know how you make out!

Old 04-12-04, 05:31 AM
mot73
Visiting Guest
Same Problem

I have a craftsman 17HP riding mower and have no brakes as well.

Do the above directions hold true?

Anyone have a printable manual for brake inspection or adjustment?

My tractor is about 4 years old or so.

thanks alot

Old 04-12-04, 06:28 AM
meyoung524,
How did you make out with your brake adjustment? Let us know.

mot73,
Your machine is likely slightly different than meyoung's, give us a chassis model# and we'll be able to help you out.

Old 04-12-04, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mot73!

A model # will help, as mentioned, but on most lawn tractor-style sears mowers, you can adjust the brakes by tightening a nut a little. Look under the mower near the transmission. You will see, on one side, a rod going through a lever on the side of the transmission. This lever is held on with a 1/2" nut. This is the nut to tighten. I don't mean to literally "tighten" it, just turn it 2 turns in that direction (clockwise). Try it. If you still don't have brakes, tighten it a bit more, etc... If you get it all the way tightened, and still have no brakes, then the pads need replacing.

Old 04-13-04, 05:11 AM
mot73
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by cheese
Hello mot73!

A model # will help, as mentioned, but on most lawn tractor-style sears mowers, you can adjust the brakes by tightening a nut a little. Look under the mower near the transmission. You will see, on one side, a rod going through a lever on the side of the transmission. This lever is held on with a 1/2" nut. This is the nut to tighten. I don't mean to literally "tighten" it, just turn it 2 turns in that direction (clockwise). Try it. If you still don't have brakes, tighten it a bit more, etc... If you get it all the way tightened, and still have no brakes, then the pads need replacing.
Thank you all...I will look and am quite releaved that there isn't something major...I can't really afford anything extra at the moment.

God bless indeed