snowthrower store-away help

Old 04-09-04, 03:07 PM
snowthrower store-away help

i started to prep my toro 2000,16 yr. old,2 cycle snowthrower
today for summer storeage. tipped machine on its right side to drain out winter gas. noticed gas coming out of primer bulb.
Then proceded to add new gas with stabile, new plug,oiled critical points,etc. Went to start machine and no joy. i have spark,fuel on plug,compression. This machine has always been dependable.
I dropped the fuel bowl and everthing was clean as a whistle.
There is some kind of a "scoop thing" just below the fuel bowl
that is consintatly filled with fuel. tried to do the recommended stuff ,but i think i did myself in with tipping the machine on its side.
anybody got any suggestions,or is this a trip to the local fixit shop?
Thanks,
daswede

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-04, 03:27 PM
Toro 2-stroker

Sounds like you have a situation where the carburetor float is no longer floating. The "scoop thing" you're referring to is the float. Just to be sure your term is in fact the float, answer this: Is this "thing" brass in color? If we're on the same page, you will need to replace this item. Be aware you may have one other issue to contend with. That is you may have loaded the crankcase with fuel/oil mix. After servicing the carburetor, you need to remove the spark plug, make sure the ignition key is off, put a shop towel over the spark plug hole, and make a dozen or so brisk pulls. this should flush out the crankcase of any fuel. Please note that it will be much easier to service the carburetor with it off the engine. Furthermore, I recommend you also replace the inlet needle & seat, bowl gasket, jet gasket and mounting gaskets while you are at it. Little cost, good results. Finally, you said you were preparing for storage. I strongly urge you to not only do as you were in adding stabilizer, but, at our shop here, we recommend running the machine three times during the summer: Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. Summer is especially harsh on fuel. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Old 04-09-04, 03:29 PM
Oops!

One other item of note: Flush the crankcase out before you reinstall the reconditoned carburetor.

Old 04-09-04, 03:53 PM
Hi puey61,
thanks for your reply.. My machine is a 2 stroke. The scoop 'thing' is external of the carb, maybe its some kind of vent . The float looked o.k.,but that doeesn't mean too much in the world of gas engines..
i did pull on therope starter many times with the plug out,and as
you mentioned,a lot of fuel mixture kept coming out in the form of a mist. I,to,thought that the cylinder might be flooded with gas because the plug was soaked. maybe i need to just keep pulling on the rope starter to clear the cylinder more.
I do run my snowthrower and lawn mower off season as you have suggested. these new fuels mixtures from service stations do raise heck with little engines. By the way,this is the first time i have ever turned any machine on its side to drain gas!
many manufactures no longer put in a shut-off or drain valve
on their machines. thats why i use stabile. Will try tomorrow to clear out cylinder again.
thanks,
daswede

Old 04-09-04, 05:37 PM
Another thing. Your cylinder was definetly flooded, but your sparkplug may be fouled. What you need to do is replace your sparkplug with a new one, and I garentee you that if that engine is going to start that it will with a new plug. Greate advice by Puey61 once again.

Old 04-10-04, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello daswede!

I agree...you probably flooded the engine. Clear it out and install a new plug and you'll probably be fine. Let us know how it goes!

Old 04-10-04, 05:26 AM
Thanks puey61 and cheese,
i will spend some more time on it today and will let you know
how things worked out.

Old 04-10-04, 06:03 AM
fuel in crandcase

The scoop thing is just that, a scoop. Be sure it is open side up. Another question...Did you notice the fuel in the scoop before tipping the machine to drain the fuel or after? If there is ALWAYS fuel in there, you still have trouble. Recondition the carburetor as previously instructed as this would indicate you have a problem with either the inlet needle or the float. As for having to tip the thrower in order to drain the gas and the lack of a fuel shut-off, let me suggest this. While you have the rear panel off, inspecting everything, install an in-line fuel valve as well as an in-line fuel filter, placing the valve before the filter. To drain, remove the fuel line at the carburetor and drain into a pan...No more tipping, just a matter of removing the rear panel when the time comes.

Old 04-10-04, 08:17 AM
Talking

Congratulations! you folks did it again!!!! I pulled the plug,
pulled on rope starter about 12-15 times with ign key off,installed NEW plug and VAROOOOM! on first pull. The 'scoop' thing was dry as a bone after i let it run for 5-6 minutes to make sure the fresh gas,stabile was mixed in carb. and engine.

Thanks puey61,cheese,and terminator20. I'll be thinking of you all next winter when i'm trying to remove snow at 20 degs.
her in massachusetts.
daswede

Old 04-11-04, 01:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! Glad we could help!