What kind of oil do I use?

Old 04-10-04, 09:09 AM
TheHinge
Visiting Guest
What kind of oil do I use?

I have lost my manual to my Sears Eager-1 5.0 push mower. I drained the oil (don't ask why I did this first). What kind of oil do I put back in it? Regular 10w-30? Thank you for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-04, 09:14 AM
SAE 30 is the proper oil to put in a engine.

Old 04-10-04, 09:20 AM
TheHinge
Visiting Guest
Sorry, is that regular motor oil? 10W-30? Thank you.

Old 04-10-04, 09:28 AM
I have been told to never use 10W30 for it is a little rough on small engines. So I have allways used SAE 30 weight, and I have never had any problems.

Old 04-10-04, 09:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: TheHinge

I agree. Use only a single weight motor oil (30W) of any brand you choose. Single weight means 30 weight. Multi viscosity oil should not be used in small air cooled engines.

Contary to popular belief, one ounce of STP or similar oil additive, added to the motor oil at oil changing will also help. Adds more body to the motor oil, oil adheres to the internal moving parts better, etc.

Now I am on the "Hook" for saying so....

Have been doing so since day one many years ago. No ill effects ever found and no mechanical problems ever arose from doing so. Nor do I have any financial vested interests in saying to add any specific brand of oil additive.

Doing so simply adds an extra "ounce" of protection against internal engine wear, which is my only financial vested interest. And it works, in my opinion...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 04-10-04, 09:48 AM
Aint that just viscous!

SAE30 is correct.
As for 10W30, this is the required oil for Kohler Command engines for summer use. This is due to the engine having hydraulic valve lifters. Using 30W in these engines will result in a valve clearance issue as the lifters will fail to pump up. Furthermore, all small engines will use 5W30 for winter use, regardless of make.

Old 04-10-04, 10:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Aint that just viscous!
Yes. It is.

However, reading the question, it is denoted the engine in question is not a Kohler Command with hydraulic valve lifters.

The engine in question is an Sears Eager-1 5.0 push mower. An air cooled engine. Not a cement mixer or any other type of power equipment as such, equipped with a Kohler hydraulic lifter engine.

Thus a 10W-30 oil is not correct for that engine in the mower. The question is in a push mower with an air cooled engine.

For engines with a hydraulic lifter systems, the 10W30 is than correct when specified by the mfg.

Side Note:
Lifter failing to pump up. ?????

Amazing. Auto engines with hydraulic lifters (oil pumping system) can run either type of oil, single grade or multi grades, weather aside & mfg issues aside. >>>>?????<<<<

Old 04-10-04, 02:43 PM
You could also use 10W30 SYNTHETIC oil all year round. I run synthetic in my stuff that I run in the winter like a lawn tractor with a snow blower on it. Briggs says that's its also good for all their stuff these days. If you don't want to spend the money on synthetic then go with SAE30 at least in the summer. The main issue here is the fact that most oils are made for liquid cooled engines like you see in most cars. The crankcase oil will run somewhere around 200 degrees. Small engines are air cooled. Temperatures run higher inside the engine and so do oil temps. You could use 10W30 also but if you did you should check your oil more frequently. The average mower is lucky to get it's oil checked once a season and oil changed after 50 hours. Most people neglect their checking & changing duties. That's why companies like Briggs & Stratton say to use SAE30. If you are the type of person who checks the oil each time you use a piece of equipment and changes oil every 25 hours then 10W30 oil would be fine to use. Even Briggs tells you this in their service literature.

I use synthetic because it will tolerate a lot bigger range of temperatures without changing viscosity much. That means it will stay thinner in the winter and thicker in the summer than regular based 10W30. You can buy a 55 gal drum of the stuff and use it in all your cars & trucks AND all your lawn & gardern equipment.

Last edited by jughead; 04-11-04 at 08:32 AM.

Search this Thread