What is this part called?

Old 04-10-04, 11:40 AM
TheHinge
Visiting Guest
What is this part called?

I have an Sears Eager-1 5.0 push lawnmower.

Alright, I changed the oil and put in SAE 30, a new spark plug, and a new air filter. I can see no bubbles in the gas tank indicating water (I ran it out before the Winter and put new in in this Spring).

However, it still will not start.

I got GumOut, took the air filter off and sprayed the Gumout into the carburetor. It started and quickly died out. I did this about ten times. This told me that continuing gas was not making it.

So, under the primer pump on the carburator is *something* I took it off and it had a round ring looking thing attached to a little plunger with a pin. When the plunger was pulled out the gas came. I put it back on and didn't put it back on tight enough at first, but gas was coming in the carburetor - pull and it started, but because it is not continuing to get gas it does the same as the Gumout treatment - it dies a few seconds later. I screwed the piece back in further so the gas didn't just spill into the carburetor and no start.

What is this called here? What do I replace? Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know it was long.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-04, 12:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: TheHinge

What you pulled out most likely by the description, was the primer valve diaphram. Does not really matter much anyway. Since you got it back together and it does not effect the engine starting or running.

When that part was removed, it indicated fuel was present.

Problem was or is, how much fuel? Carb may appear to be getting fuel by in what amount and for how long is not known.

I suggest pulling off the hose line to the carb and testing for constant full volume fuel flow. May be be present. Fuel supply from the tank may be there in a small amount or in a full amount. Question may be for how long? The test will reveal the answers.

If fuel flow is full supply and constant, carb problems may exist, dispite how the engine sat over the winter months. Gum and vanish may have restricted the internal carbs passages, needle and seat, etc, the filter, if one is present, or the fuel line or inside the fuel tank.

Fact that the engine starts and than dies, most likely indicates fuel starvation. Reason why and where needs to be determined and corrected.

Use the reply button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

BTW: (By The Way)
Longly worded but well described problem symptoms are far better than brief posts with little or not detailed info, problem description or symptoms. You did well...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 04-10-04, 12:39 PM
TheHinge
Visiting Guest
When I removed the plunger for the primer I got a pretty constant flow, so it looks like fuel is getting there.

I am wondering about the last part. When it does work, it wants to "sputter" knock hard. Other times when starting, I get a good start.

Thanks.

>Forum Monitors Note:<
Post edited to remove quote only.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-10-04 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 01:31 PM
I believe from your postings that it sounds like you may have a restriction in your carb. Go ahead and take the carb apart and spray some GumOut into it then reinstall. Thats a quick way of doing it without getting into the float and needle and jet cleaning. But if that has to be done, I would do it. Let us know what you find.

Old 04-10-04, 02:24 PM
Perhaps the float is stuck closed. The giveaway would be an empty float bowl when the carb was dismantled. Sounds like you ran the gas out of the tank last season but didn't get the gas out of the float bowl by running the engine until it died. A full float bowl would hold the needle against the seat all winter and perhaps it stuck there. It's just a guess, but it could fit, given your description of the problem and what you've tried. You might try giving the bottom of the carb a sharp wrap with the handle of a screw driver and try to get the mower running again with a couple a shots of gumout. The sharp hit on the carb may knock the needle loose without taking the carb apart.

Old 04-11-04, 01:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the part you described is the float. Was it brass, and as big around as a silver dollar? If so, it's the float. I agree, you need to work on the carb. The first thing I would suggest is to clean the bowl screw. (the bolt that holds the carb bowl on). There should be 4 holes in it. 2 oppose each other near the head of the bolt. One goes into the side near the end of the bolt in an unthreaded section. This one is the one that usually clogs, and it is very tiny and hard to see if it is clogged. The last hole runs down the center of the bolt. Make sure all these passages are clear and see if it will run.