Kohler vs Briggs and stratton

Old 04-04-04, 10:59 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kohler vs Briggs and stratton

Buying a John deere tractor. Some have briggs and higher end has kohler. I am use to briggs never heard of kohler. Is one better than the other? I know one (kohler)uses an oil filter(which i gather is a good thing?) and one does not. may get a single cylinder. Still investigating? How is a twin cylinder differ from single?

Old 04-04-04, 03:43 PM
A twin cylinder gives your more power because there are two pistens instead of one. Koyler engines are really good engines. Briggs and Koyler pretty much go hand on hand. Now tecumseh engines, they are on the low scale. I think you might get a lot of opinions here. Which ones are you interested in so far?

Old 04-04-04, 03:58 PM
M
L100 or L110 or L118 LE

Only have about 2yds to cut, do not need that much power. Had an old Dynamark(Noma) with a Briggs and Stratton engine which i thought was powerful. The whole thing eventually fell apart. I am sure whatever i get will be MUCH better than what i had. Probably will go automatic i hear its easier to use. Use to have a shift.

Old 04-04-04, 07:28 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I looked at the deere site and some of the models that are lower end(smaller numbers) also have the kohler. Ask the service guy which one he prefers or which he has fixed more of.

Old 04-04-04, 09:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Kohler is superior to most briggs engines, unless you get a vanguard briggs, and then only if it is the Japanese version. Kohler is a great engine and of all the mowers I work on, I seldom see mechanical problems with any Kohlers. An oil filter is always a good thing, but I haven't noticed where it makes any difference as far as engine longevity goes.

A twin cylinder engine doesn't mean more power. It could be, just depends. A twin is usually smoother and better balanced, has a more even power curve usually, and uses a good bit more fuel. I like twins, but it's just personal preference.

Old 04-06-04, 04:43 PM
M
John Deere 110 or 118LE

Really confused Jjust when i was going to get the L110 there is now 118 LE. Are bigger rear tires better or a hindrance when turning? 110 has single Kohler and smaller rear wheels. 118 has larger rear wheels and a briggs and stratton v-twin. 118 is 200 dollars more. Do i really need bigger tires and a v-twin? Looks like the kohler engine is easier to work on. changing oil filter etc. Just need some good opinions, decision time is very near.

Old 04-06-04, 05:20 PM
You are correct, you don't need the 118le. But, if you want to have a smooth ride on that mower, than you should go with the 118le. It depends on your preference. In my opinion a v-twin is better than a single. So just go with what you want.

Old 04-06-04, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Need it?? Probably not. Is it worth the extra $220 for it...well, that's your call. The big tires should pose no problems when turning, because the transaxle does have a differential to compensate for differing wheel speeds (like when turning). Larger tires usually mean better ride (more comfortable). If you think you'll ever need to pull implements like an aerator, rake, sweeper, etc..., the bigger one might be more suited to your needs. If you don't see the need for it, then the smaller one should be just fine.

Old 04-07-04, 02:01 PM
M
110 it is/covering?

Going with the L 110- Next problem, I have no room in my garage. My other less nice tractor i always kept outside but well covered. Is that alright are tractors use to wetness? I did use tarps to cover it but really did not care for them. Does anyone have ideas on the best covers made for tractors? May get a little storage house for it but not quite yet.

Old 04-07-04, 03:38 PM
Tarps won't help it 100%. Here is why. Tarps will keep it protected from the rain. However, at night and in the mornings there is a due of watter, a myst if you will everywhere outside. This can get right inside the tarp. I have done this before so I know what I am talking about. Over a 1 year period, I started seeng rust build up and I knew why. Here is how to make room in your garage. Granted you have alot of stuff in there right? Take out all the stuff in your garage that you could put under a tarp and could never be effected by the weather. Than you will have room for the lawn tractor. When you pay 2000 or 2500 for a lawn tractor, you will understand what I am saying and you will keep it in your garage.I have 3 Lawn Tractors. Two are the best ones and I keep them in the shop. My other one is inside a shed which also has a tarp over it. Well thats my advice. Take care.

Old 04-07-04, 04:42 PM
M
tarp/garage

You are right. I keep my car in my 1 car garage faithfully. I could try to move some stuff out but it still may be small. Will probably get a prebuilt shed or something. Worse case I'll leave my car out till i decide what i can do. Thanks for your ideas

Old 04-07-04, 04:46 PM
Your welcome, let us know what you decide.

Old 04-09-04, 05:04 PM
M
john deere L110 or LT150/scotts or Sabre

Really confused but still may go for L110 due to deck size 42 inch. But found out today that the L series were Scott tractors which in turn are now called john deere, since John deere makes them and the LT 150 and up was or is the Sabre colection made by John deere i guess the original? Supposedly will last a little longer than the scotts, better made i guess. So are there really any major differences, quality i suppose!! Or is a John deere a John deere?? Did notice under manuals for the L110 there are two diff manual G XL 110A or GXL110B why is that. also is there a diff between a 17.5-hp kohler command and not a command though same 17.5-hp- unless deere left it off on their spec page?Spending alot of money want to get things straight?

Old 04-09-04, 05:26 PM
Hi... You won't go wrong with the LT series lawn tractors by JohnDeer. The L series are lower quality than the LT series. The L series Lawn Tractors will probably last you 10 years before they brake down. VS the LT will last 20 years or more. You can get a LT150 for 2400, you can get a LT180 for little over 3000, and you can get a LT190 for 3700. That is my favorite one because it has a 18 HP engine with alot of extra options for ya. I think they have financing plans too, I have not really checked into that though.

Old 04-10-04, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The LT series is supposed to be a bit better, but there's no way you can say they will last 20 years. I know of one that hasn't lasted 10, and it's already broken down and ragged. It is used on a large piece of land, but there are way too many variables to just come out and say "such and such mower will last X # of years".

You asked "Or is a John deere a John deere?? ". No. The L and LT series mowers are not built to the rugged standards that we are used to seeing from John Deere. They are low priced models that are produced with the intent to compete with the homeowner/consumer grade market machines. If the mower says John Deere, then it is made by them, but it is not necessarily a commercial grade piece of equipment. Are they a good value for the money? Well, I guess ultimately it is up to you to decide that. In my opinion there are better values if you are looking for a good lower-end mower. If you want commercial quality, a larger, better Deere (not L or LT series) is the way to go. Note that I said "In my opinion".

It doesn't matter if the engine says Command or not....same thing, just might have an oil filter, or something slightly different.

I don't know what the model # differences are. Maybe one is a hydro model, and one standard?

Old 04-10-04, 04:39 AM
M
Well

I think I am looking into it to much. John Deere of course has the name no matter what quality. Plus they make it very easy to get parts and change oil etc. Seems its easy to work on. All I am doing is cutting my lawn about 2 acres. Nothing else. I had a Noma Dynamark which lasted twelve years, now that was a piece of junk, but it cut. I know there is craftsman, murray etc. But John deere is a name i grew up with. I like the LT because its smaller in front, more square and the engine is covered more by the hood (good or bad) the L line is open at the sides. There are little quirks in them all i guess. Just want to cut the grass.For the money the L 110 seems good. All of your input is helpful. If i owned lots of land that needed to be cut i guess a more rugged Deere would be in order.

Old 04-10-04, 09:25 AM
L series, lowest in quality. LT is a bit better. The LX is alot better in quality. And the garden tractors series, which are high quality. Then the commercial series. Called the X series. They are expensive, but, they are well built. And yes, if you have 2 acres to mow, you should buy something in the LT series instead of the L series. Because as I said before, the LT series lasts longer.

Old 04-12-04, 01:32 PM
M
Lt 160 john deere

Going for that. I figure if spending almost 1900 whats another 600 for features i like. Better location of gas fill, Cover covers engine better, and pedals are easier. 14 inch radius versus 18 Going cheap is not always the answer L110. But paying more is not either but i think in this case it may be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: