weedeater carb problem

Old 04-10-04, 10:51 AM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
Angry toro weedeater

I have a toro weedeater ( for now)...I am getting real fustrated with it as it wont stay running , I know the gas is mixed right and it is fresh gas- I can start it but when I press the throttle it wants to die - if I put it on cold start it will run wide open but once the choke it off it will only run untill you try and give more gas - I have already cleaned all the old gas out of it from last year and have been trying to run wth the clean gas - I am really getting fustrated with it but dont want to take it to a shop as i feel that it is something simple - the weedeater is only 2 years old and this is the 1st trouble i have had - sure could use some help.
James

Old 04-10-04, 11:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check your hose connections between the carb primer and gas tank. Make sure that they are securely seated. Make sure your hoses do not have dry rot cracks in them. Make sure that the hole in the gas cap is not clogged. Make sure your air filter is clean and free of debree. Make sure that you do not have a build up of carbon in the muffler hole or on the muffler. And finnaly, you may have a constriction in your carberator due to trash and or varnish build up. Take it apart and clean it with automotive GumOut spray. If you do not know how to take your carb apart, please post your engine model number and brand name and we can help you further.

Old 04-10-04, 11:33 AM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
Question all looked okay

Okay ....looked at all that you had listed and looked okay...not sure if this is the engine model number or not,
em ps-01986
displacement 30cc family - 1h2xs.0304ra - Brand is TORO ....Thanks in advance for your help.
James

Old 04-10-04, 11:36 AM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
Correction on Brand

In last post I said it was a TORO but I was wrong it is a Homelite

Old 04-10-04, 11:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: jpstroot

Here is a trick that might work.
Remove spark plug.
Remove the carbs screws.
But first...count the number of turns inwards it takes to lightly bottom out the needle screw and mark it down on paper.

If there are two screws, one will be marked "H" for high speed and the other one "L" for low speed.

Make note. Do not interchange them.
They are not interchangeable.

Once both screws are removed, placing one to the right side of you and the other to the left side, so as not to mix them up, use a can of automotive carb cleaner as described below.

Insert the plastic extension tube from the can into the first hole in the carb and blast the cleaner into it. Than repeat on the second hole, if any exists.

CAUTION:
Wear eye protection!!!!

Once that is done, reinstall screws exactly as they where.
Bottom each lightly.
Than back them out to the number of turns it took to bottom them out.

>>Refer to your notes.

Old 04-10-04, 12:16 PM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
Talking

Okay Weedeater running like new again - there are 2 screws one on each side of the primer one of then needed tighten - must have been geting to much air because once that was taken care of it ran like a charm - I will no what to look for next time this happens - to old for all the fustration...lol ...thanks guys I would never had found the problem if you all did not get me looking in the right place.

James

Old 04-10-04, 12:47 PM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
Well it was running - think I better try the GumOut spray - ran good for about 10min and then back to the same old stuff

Old 04-10-04, 01:24 PM
Hay, don't get yourself down. Just the fact it ran for 10 minutes means that you are making great progres. Keep it up, do the stuff mentioned in my post, and you might get it running. Make sure that sparkplug is good. How you know if it is bad is if it does not look clean, meaning its all carbined up and tarry looken. If it is, go ahead and replace your sparkplug, and go from there. Please post back your results.

Old 04-11-04, 01:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello jpstroot!

Try backing out the screw marked with an H a little bit.

Old 04-11-04, 10:39 AM
jpstroot
Visiting Guest
I dont see a screw with a H on it, But there is a red one and a white one.
James

Old 04-11-04, 11:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: James

Follow my advice, as stated above and see if it helps.

If the screws are RED and WHITE and not H & L, substitute the letters for the colors. It's the same thing except one brand is using colors and the others are using H & L.

There may only be one screw and not two. Does not matter. Remove it or both blast into the hole(s) with carb cleaner than replace it (them) as indicated above.

Old 04-11-04, 11:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The screw farthest from the engine is the H screw. The one closest is the L screw. The colored caps on the screws will need to be removed to get the screw out.

Old 04-15-04, 10:47 AM
How did it go?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: