rope pull starter won't recoil

Old 04-15-04, 01:53 PM
Question B&S engine pull start string won't recoil

diy or take to a repair shop? how involved is it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 02:07 PM
Not to bad but a mess. Is the rewind spring broke or come off in there . look out when you take it off it could be caught and fly apart when you take the cover off. If the spring is broke just get a new one and wind it back in there is all. Not a bad job

ED

Old 04-15-04, 02:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: uh-oh-oh1

Your question is both asked as take it to the shop or diy. It can be both or a total diy project. Much depends on to what extent the problem is.

What needs to be mentioned has already been mentioned. Use caution. The recoiled spring under the starter housing cover can pose a danger.

You can safely removed the cover. The spring is not likely to have come out of it's housing. Once the cover is removed, turn it over. Inside it you'll see a pulley with the rope around it.

Not much details noted but if the rope is only jammed, you may be able to unjam it so it can retract. If the rope is sticking out and will not retract, is not jammed and in reasonably good condition, the pulley may simply be dirty under it.

If the pulley is simply dirty beneath it, cleaning under it without removal is possible. Spray some WD 40 or like cleaner between the pulley and the starter housing while pulling on the rope.

Doing so is likely to flush out any dirt and or debris and free the pulley. Once freed, spray a light weight oil or lube under the pulley and work the rope in and out.

If the problem is more severe than above, two choices. Take the entire started assembly to any local small engine shop nearby you and listed in the phone book.

A small fee can have it fixed professionally. Than you can reinstall it yourself. Have additional questions or need to post an update, well you known the method...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 04-15-04, 03:45 PM
Spring sprung?

How about engine model, type and code #'s? This will help us help you better. These will be found on the blower housing (the same as which your rewind starter is mounted to) or, if an overhead valve engine, possibly on the rocker cover. Either way, these #'s will be stamped in. Thanks.

Old 04-16-04, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...the model# will tell us a thing or two. I'm going to take a stab at it though...I'm betting you have a somewhat older 3 or 3.5 hp engine. If you remove the shroud (metal engine cover), you'll see a square peg sticking out of the top of the engine. This fits in the rope spool in the cover you just removed. Grab that peg (cranking ratchet) and see if it will spin easily. It should turn one way, but not the other. If it doesn't turn well, you'll need to remove the screws that hold the screen on top of the engine. Then pry the cover off of the cranking ratchet and pick the small metal balls out of it. Then pull up on the square part and remove it from the engine. Clean the shaft that it fits on and drip a few drops of oil into the hole on the square piece. Then reassemble.

Old 04-16-04, 03:04 PM
hmmmm...I can get the plastic housing cover off, but the top part where the rope pulls is welded on. How would I remove?

Model 115-084A302 mfgr'd in 1995 MTD Yard Machine 4HP Quatro 22"
Looks similar to this...
http://www.yardmachines.com/servlet/...4&CAT=1&SUB=67

Old 04-16-04, 03:09 PM
add'l info...
I can kinda wind it back (I've got nimble fingers and YES I disconnected the spark plug wire first). I try to pull and nothing. It just pulls out and just a slight whir from motor. I think the spring is popped. No resistance.

Old 04-16-04, 03:11 PM
and as long as I'm at it...can I lengthen the rope? This happened a few years ago and the shop I took it to, fixed the problem, but they shortened the rope. It used to be a pull from handle, now I have to bend over to the motor (real pain in the back).

Old 04-16-04, 03:35 PM
I'll start by answering your questions one at a time, but first, heed Sharp's advice about safety. Also, the model # you provided is the frame #'s, for engine parts and service you will need engine #'s. they will be stamped into the blower housing (which is what I will now walk you through, removing). I do know by way of the #'s you did supply that you have a Briggs Classic engine. 1- remove the plastic shroud (cover) from the engine (apparently you already have). 2- There may or may not be a throttle cable clamp you will have to remove (depending on whether or not you have a fixed speed carburetor). If there is one it will be located just to the left of the fuel cap - remove this ( using a 5/16" socket), trying your best not to disturb the position of the clamp on the cable. 3- There will be two small screws holding the oil fill tube to the blower housing - remove these two screws (using a 1/4" socket), leaving the tube in place. 4- You now have three bolts holding the blower shroud/rewind starter to the engine - remove these 3 bolts (using a 3/8" socket). You will now have the rewind starter off. If you have never serviced one, you may well be better off taking it to a shop to be repaired. If you don't want to do that, respond back and I'll walk you through replacing the spring.

Old 04-16-04, 03:38 PM
Oops!

One question I forgot to address: Yes, you can install more rope, moving it back up to the rope guide on the handle. Install rope using this in mind: the starter pulley will hold about five feet of #4.5 rope, you will then need whatever additional length to get it up to your rope guide on the handle.

Old 04-18-04, 04:40 AM
Any luck yet?

Old 04-19-04, 07:07 AM
I talked to a friend who is knowlegeable and thought it might be the clutch. Not sure. Friend instructed me how to remove the metal housing now that the plastic cover is removed. I removed 3 screws and a cable clamp. The metal cover with the plastic spool for the rope as well as the oil fill and dipstick have been removed. I can freely coil the rope and pull it. It does not retrach (I assume this is correct since it is not longer attached. I can blow this out with compressed air and clean it up.

Now I am looking at the motor and rotor with the metal screen covering it with two screws (sorry, still haven't found the numbers on the engine itself). The square peg (rotor?) turns counterclockwise (left), but not clockwise (right). Someone above mentioned that this is expected. I wouldn't say that it "spins". I can move it, but it rattles when I do so. I'm not sure if this is expected or if this is indicative of "a" problem or "the" problem.

I do not want to proceed any further until I get some responses. Not sure if I am still diagnosing or fixing and I'm in unchartered territory for ME.

More advice please. Thank you!

Old 04-19-04, 07:55 AM
called the local small engine repair shop and they said the rope pull should retract even if pulled off motor. I am taking in for repair (just this piece) since they said the spring can be tricky. Is it really? No cost estimate yet, but they said maybe around $20 (I'm guess this is labor, since the part can't cost that much right?). Am I being taken?

Old 04-19-04, 08:37 AM
For $20.00 take it in to them . Might stay there and see how they do it. Dont for get to tell them you need a longer rope on it .

ED

Old 04-19-04, 09:48 AM
You've done the right thing by bringing the starter to a service center since you have never done this type of work before. As far as the cost to repair the starter: The person to whom you spoke likely gave you a worst case price. It sounds to me that you will need a spring and, as we always do at our shop, rope. I can't say what you will be charged but if it is only these items that are needed, we would charge you $8.00 plus parts, which should be around $6.00.

Old 04-19-04, 03:23 PM
Whew! That's a relief. I did call back to remind the mechanic to add a longer rope length (oh my aching back). Thanks, ALL! I'll let you know when I reattach if that did the trick.

Old 04-24-04, 11:48 AM
Rewind repair

Did you get the starter back yet? If so, how much did it set you back? And most importantly, does it now work properly and furthermore does the mower work?

Old 04-26-04, 07:14 AM
Got it back together again and IT WORKS! Just need to get an eye bolt and remount the longer rope pull on the handle. The cost to repair - $22 and change and my time to troubleshoot and reassemble. Not bad.

Thanks to ALL for the GREAT ADVICE!

Old 04-26-04, 09:25 AM
I am glad you got it fixed!