Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

edger question

CO

04-16-04, 08:05 PM   #1  
edger question

Hi,

I was looking at getting a edger for my lawn. I was looking at a craftsman electric edger and a craftsman gas edger. Both are about 3 horse power. Is there any advantage of one over the other? The sales guy really couldn't answer that.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored Links

04-16-04, 08:18 PM   #2  
They both have advantiges over each other. A gas edger you can edge anywhere without the worry of a elecrical cord that you are pulling around. And they have good HP to get the job done. But over time , or right away you can start having problem with them. Something breakes down. A electric edger is easy maintanance, you most likely will never have a problem with them, and they have resonable HP to get the job done. The drawback is that you have to pull a cord all around. And if you have to edge 300 feet or more away from your house than a gas edger would be a better choice.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-04, 12:18 AM   #3  
Hello Shawn!

I agree with Terminator20. Electric would be less trouble as far as upkeep and cranking. Just plug it in and go. Gas would be good if you need a lot of power for thick stuff, or if you have quite a bit of edging to do, or a long run that would require lots of extension cord. If you decide to go with the gas unit, go for a 4 stroke engine, not one of those little weed wacker 2 stroke kinds of edgers. They don't hold up long.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CO

04-18-04, 08:30 AM   #4  
Thanks again. I decided to go for the eletric edger. The maintainece points you brought up where well taken. Plus, I already have a eletric weed wacker so I have take out the power cord for it. No big deal.

Search this Thread