engine identification

Old 04-20-04, 05:18 AM
Kohler K3218 engine

Can anyone tell me something about this engine? The other numbers on the label were as follows...

Spec. 60238d
Ser. 9601790

Does it have pressure lube? can an oil filter be added?
Problems to watch out for weith this engine?

I went to the Kohler site and got a manual for it but it didn't include much info about the lubrication system.

I also wondered if anyonme knows what the "8" designation on the model number means?

K321 means 32 cubic inch displacement with 1 cylinder, but I don't know what the "8" means. Most of their engines have a letter after the first three digits.

This engine is on an Ariens GT-14 Garden tractor.

Thanks.

HB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 05:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: HB

Providing the complete engine model numbers would be more helpful to us to better provide you will help. The numbers from which you provided (K321) should or should have additonal numbers.

Where did you find the "8" from? The engine model number or the "8" in the spec number? Not clear. Clarify please.

Most common small engines use the oil "Splash" lubrication method. Which means there are one or two spoon like metal attachments on the connecting rods journal bolt caps.

As the crankshaft rotates, oil on the crankcase is "Splashed" around to lube the internal parts. On engines equipped with a replaceable oil filter, like a cars engine, as an example, the oil is pumped for circulation throught the engine.

Use the reply button to add the updated information. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 04-20-04, 05:57 AM
This is what the sticker/ID plate on the engine says.....

Model: K3218
Spec. 60238d
Ser. 9601790

Is there somewhere else that I should be looking for numbers?

I know that it's about 20 years old, maybe they've changed the numbering system they use since this was produced?

The manual that I got frm the Kohler website is for model K321 but then adds a letter at the end of that to designate certain features. (ie. K321A = oil pan type - K321Q = Quiet type-K321S = Electric Start)

So I wondered what the 8 might stand for.... I wondered if that was the designation that Kohler put on the engine to identify it as being supplied to the ariens company.

Thanks for the help, hope this clarifies it a bit.

HB

Old 04-20-04, 06:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: HB

Clarifys much. Thanks.

The "8" could indicate any number of varitations to the basic engine design over the years of that model run. May indicate to whom the engine was built for and or it's intended purpose, etc.

Each manufacturer uses a different or slightly different method coded into the serial numbers and or model numbers. Any of which can and is likely to change change over the years.

Same applies to the equipment manufacturers whom may require such numbers be added to engines and or parts they purchase for usage on the equipment they build.

Not sure I can even obtain the original parts list. Sold off that branch of the company years ago and not sure the current owner has the parts book or repairs the brand any longer.

Possible our resident small engine service and repair moderator may have additional information for you. Check back on your question several additional times over the next day or two.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 04-20-04, 03:27 PM
K series Kohler

This is an older K-series engine. It has a splash lubrication system, in other words, no pressurized oil lubrication. The "8" your speaking of is actually an "S", which won't be needed when ordering parts, by the way. Since it is not a pressurized system, you won't be able to add on an oil filter. As far as areas of concern to be on the look-out for: Not really, these are pretty much bullet proof engines. Just preventative maintenence. Is this engine battery or magneto ignition? Any other questions, we're just a post away.

Old 04-21-04, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Puey...the 8 is most likely an S. The S stands for electric start.

Old 04-23-09, 05:05 AM
hello guys,,just a response to the kohler mod number k3218. I have recently picked up an old economy tractor and it has a kohler 14 hp motor and the mod number is K-3218 clearly on data sticker.don't know much other than that.i am looking a front cover for it.bottom of mine rusted out.thanks a lot. junkfixer

Old 04-23-09, 11:49 AM
I can only assume the factory had a run on mis-stampings when your engine as well as that older posts' owner's engine went down the assembly line. For yours, we'll need the spec and serial numbers to lookup any parts you need. When you say front cover, do you mean the flywheel shroud, aka the blower housing?

Old 04-26-09, 05:07 AM
kohler blower housing

thank you for your reply.it is the blower housing that i am looking for.i am greatful for any help i get from you guys.i forgot to put these # in. spec#60132G sre#4047777 thank you so much

Old 04-27-09, 12:49 PM
I can't find a "G" spec number. I can find a plain, an A, a B, a C and a D but no G. So, based on the plain, the part number for the shroud is 47 027 46-S. Notice the spaces in the part number, this is correct for a Kohler part number as is the dash S.