Help with recoil spring, BS Rototiller

Old 05-04-04, 08:42 AM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Help with recoil spring, BS Rototiller

Hello, I inherited a 91 Troybuilt roto till with B&S 5HP motor. I don't have manual or original paperwork..
The starter rope broke, I took the housing off and reinserted the spring, then the rope, I had to take the whole housing apart from frame to get to it.
I now have the whole thing back on tiller and looks like everything ok_ Except I tied in the starter rope without first putting any tension on spring.
Is there a way to tighten the spring without taking the whole unit apart and or off machine? I have access to where the rope attaches to pulley but not much room to work in there.
Someone suggested "looping" the rope, so it doesnt start to wind on pulley, and tighten spring, then when enough tension is on spring go ahead and finish winding the rest of rope back on. I don't seem smart enough to "visualize" how to do this. Would really like to try to fix myself, money very tight. Any ideas or is there a place that might have diagram on-line?
Thanks in advance. Rick

Old 05-04-04, 10:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Working with the winding spring is a very dangerous thing. My best advice is to take the tiller to a service dealer, and have them do it for you. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-04-04, 11:32 AM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
I realize

Hi there, I see we are both in Wa, I am in Poulsbo.
I am aware that springs can be dangerous but the spring is allready back in place. I need to fix this myself and thought that's what this forum is for.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-04-04, 12:30 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

With the housing off and the spring in place, rope on the pulley.

Turn pulley until rope is fully wrapped on pulley, inside housing. Using a small screwdriver, butter knife or whatever hold the end of the rope inside the housing.
Turn the pulley (while holding rope inside) in the direction of the the normal rope pull.
Make about ten turns this way. You will feel the spring getting tension on it and you will have some problem keeping it all from spinning. It may be a good idea to have some extra hands available if possible.
Once you have ten turns on it. Feed the end of the rope back out of the housing. Pull the rope and check the tension and length of pull. If needed you can either add more turns to increase tension or let a turn or two off if you need to release tension or add pull distance.

Old 05-04-04, 12:35 PM
Exclamation B S recoil

Man who told ya that?where does he live?I need some of what ever that was that he took!!!I've been doing this for 30 yrs.and I've never heard of but one way.You have to take the blower housing (recoil cover)off,lay it upside down and wind pulley as far CCW as it will go.Back off one conplete turn(so when you snich the rope as far as it will go you won't brake the spring too) then tie the rope to pulley.

Old 05-04-04, 12:41 PM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
OK lets see

Thank you, so if I have the idea right I take handle off of rope and wind it ,with pulley around a few times until tension on spring ? That makes sense except I dont think I have enough room to thread it that way. It looks like there is kind of a knockout guide,where the rope goes into housing, before it lines with pulley, I think it would work if I could get the "knockout piece" which looks like it might be welded, put that would give me like 1-2" of room to thread it back out, rather than through this groove, which doesnt have a lot of room to work.
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer questions here. Thanks! Rick

Old 05-04-04, 12:48 PM
Ok, if that is the case....
Follow the Repair_Guy's post.
This just entails you removing the rope.
Rotating the pulley.
Backing off one turn.
Install the rope and let the pulley pull the rope in.

Easiest way to do it, just thought maybe you would have enough room in there, but sounds like you may not.

Old 05-04-04, 01:59 PM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Trying to help

I see you are from the home of the 3rd MEU, a friend of mines son was with that group and was there the day they knocked the big Statue of Sadam over.

Old 05-04-04, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Briggs rewind starter

Just so you're clear on this issue, let me give you the rundown on procedure. 1- Remove the blower housing (the rewind starter) by way of three screws. 2- With the starter upside down (so you can clearly see the pulley) you need to remove the rope from the assembly by way of cutting the knot at the grip, making sure not to let it slip back into the housing and pulley. 3- Pull the rope all the way out, using the same motion you would use to start the engine. 4- With the rope extended out, hold the pulley from turning in the housing and pull the rope out from the pulley. In other words, grab ahold of the knot at the pulley and drag all the rope out. 5- Two options now: A- Allow the spring to unwind completely and start from scratch or; B- Have your rope ready with a knot in ONE end (this will be difficult with a one-man show however, unless you have a second rope ready to go (which is what I recommend)) and now hold the housing steady and turn the pulley as far counterclockwise as it will go. 6- Back the pulley off until the hole in the pulley is in line with the rope guide in the housing (it will never be more than one turn). 7- Take your rope (be sure to calderize and swipe each end so as to prevent fraying by means of a lighter flame and shop towel) and feed the unknotted end first through the pulley and then through the guide in the housing, pulling the rope to the end (stopping at the knot). 8- Either tie a temporary slip knot outside the housing to prevent it from escaping your grasp or have a second person attach the grip to the rope and let the rope back in.
That's it, reinstall the housing to the engine and Wallah! Your done. Good luck and let us know how it went. BTW the pulley will hold 5 feet of rope, give or take.

Old 05-04-04, 05:12 PM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Housing hard to take off

Thanks again, I guess why I am having a hard time is there are two support bars blocking the housing from coming all the way off without removing the bars. In theory it looks like I should undue the three small bolts holding the housing to main motor and work it that way...but..I had to take the two "safety" bars or whatever all the way off which meant unbolting the engine from the frame. I was happy just to get it back together. Now, though after reading this advice, I am going to go home and try to take the housing off, with just the 3 screws and proceed from there. And if that fails, well I have a old sledge hammer somewhere........

Old 05-04-04, 05:24 PM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Ccw?

Sitting here at the computer, I can't picture it but when you refer to clockwise or counter C/W is that as you are looking from outside the engine into the center of it, or is it from engine out? No wonder I am confused...

Old 05-04-04, 05:31 PM
recoil spring bS rototiller

like a clock CW 1:00 2:00 ETC.CCW 3:00 2:00 1:00

Old 05-04-04, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello McConaughy!

With the housing off, and looking inside at the rope pulley, it would be counter clockwise.

Old 05-05-04, 09:45 AM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
spring tight

Thanks again for your help.
The idea of tighterning spring is to make it have more tension,by making spring smaller.

The rope and spring actually go in same directions, I think.

I will play with it after work again.

Does anybody have any hints on rethreading the rope through the head and onto pulley, I had before taped the end to leather shoe string and wrapped with black tape, it was bulky and kind of pain and took awhile. Is there a way to make the rope 'stiffer' to thread through the different holes?

Old 05-06-04, 08:13 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Maybe you could try putting a little hot wax on the frayed end of the rope and shape it with your finger? Just to give it a little more rigidity. Good luck.

Old 05-06-04, 08:48 PM
I just use a lighter to make the edge hard and closed up.

Old 05-07-04, 08:44 AM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Rope

Both those are good ideas.

I was also thinking of getting brand new rope, it may be a bit stiffer.

Thanks again, I didnt work on it yesterday as I had tooth pulled and didnt need any more agragations.

Old 05-07-04, 08:55 AM
You can also use a small piece of wire to fish the rope through.

Put a piece of wire (straightened paperclip) inside of the rope at the end to stiffen it up and push it through.

Old 05-07-04, 09:42 AM
Refer to post #9 for procedure. No special tool is necessary to feed the rope through. If, however, your rope is old and swelled, it will be difficult - buy new rope -size, 4.5 - five feet long.

Old 05-10-04, 07:35 AM
McConaughy
Visiting Guest
Fixed

I took the starter in to see what kind of rope to get, they took the whole thing, rewound it and I was there 15 minutes $14. thanks all

Old 05-10-04, 02:09 PM
Yeeha!!! Closure

Did that price include a new spring?

Old 05-10-04, 02:20 PM
Glad its all fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: