Origional briggs engine color?

Old 04-25-04, 08:37 PM
gmcfan
Visiting Guest
Origional briggs engine color?

I have a 1977 Lawnmower distributed by Coast to coast. It has a briggs & stratton 9 CID 3 1/2 HP engine on it. What was the origional engine color for this year? right now it is black, and I think it is the origional engine. It has a metal Pulsa-Jet carb, and does not have easyspin. thanks in advance!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-04, 09:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jon!

I am not familiar with the name brand you mentioned. It sounds like it may be a store brand name, of which there are/were hundreds, or thousands. Most were made by a small group of manufacturers, like falls/sycamore, Murray, MTD, and AYP/roper. The majority of briggs engines from that time were originally painted black.

Old 04-26-04, 02:45 PM
gmcfan
Visiting Guest
Thanks, cheese. Coast to Coast went out of business, or was bought by another company in the mid nineties. I think they were only a west coast company, and I noticed your from Georgia, so maybe they didn't have C&C over on the east coast.

Old 04-26-04, 03:19 PM
Vintage mower

How about the engines' model, type and code #'s and maybe I can help you out.

Old 04-29-04, 02:20 PM
gmcfan
Visiting Guest
Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been working a lot lately.

The cowl that is on it is not the origional one. The cowl is from a '79, so it probably wont help to give you the numbers, but here they are anyway.

92502 0817-04 79072625

Old 05-01-04, 12:42 PM
Unoriginal shroud

You're right, these numbers will do no good since they aren't original. I too am not familiar with Coast to Coast, so it will be difficult to say what the original color was. But I will say, back in '70's, unless you were a big name OEM, you would have to stick with the standard color of Briggs engines - black. And having been in this industry for over 20 years and having worked on most every brand made, I dare say this is the case here...go with black unless someone with knowledge of this brand says otherwise.

Old 05-02-04, 11:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just saw a coast to coast mower. Strange, never heard of one until your question...and then I see one. It was newer than the '70s, but was a MTD product painted yellow with black accents and engine. The yellow of the frame was close to school-bus yellow. The engine was just a regular black engine like found on most equipment.