Engine Starting Problems

Old 05-03-04, 04:55 PM
araxis73
Visiting Guest
Engine Starting Problems

Hi,

I bought a 16.5 murray rider last year with the free cart from home depot.It has run fine all of last year.This year I started and cut fine but I hit a tree root.I replaced the blades.But now when I go to start it I hear a click but nothing.I have replaced the battery,sparkplug, everything I can think of.Cleaned it pretty well but it just wont crank.Our yard is suffering because of this and I have been so pissed that I cant get it running.

I have also noticed when I go to turn the key to the headlights they will not even come on.So I put jumper cables on the starter and got it to "shock" and it and the starter was working.

What in gods name could it be? I have checked all cable connections everything.Could it be the solonoide? I noticed when I cranked it at the first of the season it did start but was hesitant.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
J in TN

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-04, 05:17 PM
Lightbulb Murray 16Hp rider will not start

Click uaaah,sounds like your getting juice as far as the solenoid.And you can jump the starter itself and get it to work?Sounds to me like your solenois switch is not working.As far as your lights goes.eighter the bulbs is blown,but I have never seen both to go at the same time.Most likely when you hit that root,the jar shoke the wires out of contact.Re-plug them.

Post back with any more problems.

Old 05-03-04, 06:06 PM
Repair_Guy gave you great advice. Do that and I bet you will get it running. If not, we can help you further.

Old 05-04-04, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello araxis73!

It does sound like the solenoid is bad. You can replace it, or if you have a test light or voltmeter, I can tell you how to test it. As for the headlights...they shouldn't come on unless the engine is running.

Old 05-04-04, 07:01 AM
araxis73
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice.I am down to it is either the solenoide or the starter.This morning I put the jumper cables on the starter again and it will barely turn at all.Could it be the starter is bad instead of solonoide?

Anyone know as I am going to go get the parts today.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-04, 07:25 AM
Sluggish starting

I want to be clear you jumped directly to the starter...So, did you take your jumper cables and ground one to the frame and the other to the post directly on the starter motor? If so, and it was still sluggish AND you are sure your jumper battery is absolutely good then it could be two things: 1- Weak starter motor; 2- Excessive engine compression by way of a faulty compression release camshaft. Let us know.

Old 05-04-04, 07:41 AM
araxis73
Visiting Guest
jumped from a 2003 chevy truck im pretty sure the battery is good.The solonoide clicks when the key is turned.Put the jumper cables to the post on the starter it sparks and barely turns at all.

Old 05-04-04, 08:16 AM
Unhappy

OK-I see now.I'll bet that when ever you hit that root that it jared the engine just bad enough to make the little spring on the compression release come off or brakeTake the spark plug(s) totally out and see if it will spin over good,If so,there you have in.compression release is problem.And it's on the cam shaft,inside the engine.

Post back and someone can give you instructions.But that's a pretty good little job,if I was you I'd take it to a small engine
shop.

Old 05-04-04, 09:29 AM
Jumping

I need you to answer my above question...Did you jump directly to the starter? Or to the battery? Then we can continue once answered.

Old 05-04-04, 09:44 AM
araxis73
Visiting Guest
I see what your saying now P. I replavced the mowers battery.I jumped directly to the starter.Not the battery.Also when I hit the tree root it would still turn off and start even after that.Only after it sat for 2 weeks is when I discovered she wasn't cranking anymore.

I am so ready to push this thing into the river!

Just a thnx also for everyone trying to help me out here.

Keep em coming AS I HAVE RUN OUT OF IDEAS!

Old 05-04-04, 09:50 AM
Was this left outside in the rain for 2 weeks? We want to think about possible rust buildup. Another thing to possibly look at. Is the blade engaged? If it is, it will not start. Take the shroud off and take a look in there to see if you can find anything wrong like rust or something rubbing against something. If there is a protective top on the top of your starter moter, take it off and look in there. Make sure everything is ok. Let us know how it goes.

PS: However unlikely, but because you hit a tree root, it is possibly your flywheel key is sheard. Hopefully that instead of a bent crankshaft and or pisten rod. The flywheel key is about half an inch long and either rectangular or half moon shaped. They are about 3/16" thick and are designed to break if the engine happens to stop very quickly. It is located on the crankshaft right where the flywheel sits around it.

Old 05-04-04, 10:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try removing the spark plug, as mentioned, and see how it turns then. If it spins like wild, remove the valve cover and adjust the valves.

Also: Be careful when you remove the plug and spin it...it is possible that the engine is gas-locked, and if so, the engine will spew fuel out the spark plug hole when you spin the starter, and the spark plug wire could spark. We know what happens when gas meets spark !

Pull the oil dipstick out. If it smells like gas in the dipstick tube, don't even try cranking it with the plug out. You'll need to drain the oil and fix the carb first. (only if you smell gas in the oil).

Old 05-09-04, 06:39 PM
How did you make out?