Diaphram Carb & Engine Running Problems (Merged Threads - Tripper)

Old 05-05-04, 04:25 AM
Yow, from Terminator in Washington to Puey in upstate NY...I've upset the applecart from coast to coast!

Sorry guys. It sure wasn't on purpose. I've learned my lesson.

Thanks for your patience.

Tripper

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-04, 04:43 PM
Hello Repair guy,

When you say fuel lines are you talking about fuel pipes? This carb has only one fuel pipe going into the tank. It also has a small brass rod about 2.5" long on the bottom of the carb that goes through a hole in the gasket and goes into the tank. In the middle there is a protrusion that is about 3/8" in diameter and about 3" long that has what looks like a welch plug in the bottom of it. It also has a pin that is flush next to the welch plug and another pin on the side. Not sure what these are.

Tripper

Old 05-05-04, 07:28 PM
Diaphragm Carb & Engine Running

Sorry bout my choice of names.What I ment was did your carb have one brass pipe with a plastic fuel line on it.(longer).And a shorter (screw in plastic pipe.If so your carb. is a old type and the part # for the diaphragm is 270026.
Which I think (going by what you've said so far).You must have this diaphragm in wrong,that hole is not supossed to be covered up by the solid rubber.Both flaps of the diaph.goes towards the choke side if well it covers.

Old 05-06-04, 03:50 AM
Hello Repair Guy,

I may be missing the 'short' fuel pipe. I do have the 'long' one; a brass piece with the plastic end on it but do not have another shorter one.

I'm sure you're corect when saying it is an 'old' type. I got one of the other diaphrams and it is different. I'm sure its in right.

Tripper

Old 05-06-04, 07:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Question ??????.....Confusion Setting In.....????????

Hello; Tripper

I combined (merged) all the prior posts you made on this same engine problem, into one thread, for ease of reading and following along. And here it is.

Even doing that and rereading the entire thread, confusion still exists, to me at least. Seems it all started in the original post back on page one. There you used the words "pipes" into the fuel tank from the carb.

That single word (pipe verus pipes) pipe is singular meaning one pipe and pipes is plural, meaning two or more, in my opinion, created all the confusion, as to the type of carb it is. Vac-u-jet or pulse-jet. Big difference.

Both carb types explained well by all concerned parties posting replies. But appears to me the professionals picked up and keyed in on that single word, thus creating some of the confusion.

More confusion created with terms. Lines versus pipes. Lines are fuel lines, as in hoses, as an example and pipes are metal or plastic tubes, those extending from the carb downwards into the fuel tank.

Hope that clears up some of the confusions.

Now, in my opinion, what needs to be known is:
Where there two >pipes< or one >pipe< extending down from the carb prior to disassembly?

Does not matter, at this point, whether either are plastic or metal. Just trying to determine how many there are. One or two?

If there was only one, that indicates the carb type, as well as if there >is< or >where< two pipes. Once that is known, unless I missed that point here, determines the carb type and whether the gasket is the correct one, etc.

Been many years since I serviced such carbs. Best as I can remember, the two gaskets are visably different and cannot be interchanged, by simply looking. One will notice the difference immediately.

When you said:
"In the middle there is a protrusion that is about 3/8" in diameter and about 3" long that has what looks like a welch plug in the bottom of it."

In the middle where????

Of the carbs underside? (Where the gasket goes?)

On the side of the carb??? (Near the gasket cover?)

Next, you state:
"It also has a pin that is flush next to the welch plug and another pin on the side."

What is IT? Explain IT?

Next you state:
"Not sure what these are." (Pins?)

And neither am I and neither may the rest of us.

>>>Kindly explain all the above.<<<

Thanks.

Trying to decipher the above (terms & phrases used) and all the statements and descriptions made in this entire thread.

BTW:
After all this....I think I need a "Drink"......."Coffee" that is.... CYA.

Old 05-09-04, 06:42 PM
Did you get it fixed?

Old 05-10-04, 04:13 AM
Yes Sir! Just came in from tilling just now! Runs like a champ.

Just want to thank everyone involved in this long confusing thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

When the threads got merged it only added to confusion because the 'Wonder Boy' thread was a totally different motor than the tiller motor. Just happened that they were both BS 5hp motors with very similar numbers.

This tilling motor actually had about four things wrong or plugged in the fuel system. All the advice was great. Thanks again!

Tripper

Old 05-10-04, 09:03 AM
Glad you got it fixed!!!