Ryobi 890r Trimmer Stalls

Old 05-04-04, 06:37 PM
wsbeach1
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Ryobi 890r Trimmer Stalls

I am trying to find out why my Ryobi 890r Trimmer is stalling when I try to accelerate. It idles fine. I have replaced the plug, fuel lines,primer bulb and rebuilt the carb, cleaned the spark arrester and last but not least put good clean gas in it. This is a 4 cycle engine. The carb has a idle speed screw, but no high speed adjusment screw. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by wsbeach1; 05-05-04 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-04, 07:03 PM
If you did all of the above you just mentioned that it can only be one possible thing. If your carb is theroughly clean, then it has to be the coil. I had a trimmer that would do the same thing. And because this trimmer is a ryobi, I would doubt it would be anything else but the coil.

Old 05-04-04, 07:51 PM
Are you sure you set the high speed mixture screw correctly?

Old 05-04-04, 09:11 PM
If you messed with the high speed screw and did not get it properly adjusted right, that could be a cause, but lets hope thats all it is, otherwise it may be the coil.

Old 05-04-04, 10:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wsbeach1!

Sounds to me like you have a carburetor problem. You may just be able to adjust it out. The high speed screw is the screw (one of two small screws on the side of the carb) closest to the air filter. Try backing it out 1/2 turn or so. This does not sound like a coil problem.

Old 05-05-04, 12:23 PM
miken586
Visiting Guest
Hard starting Stihl line trimmer

I have a Stihl FS-36 gas trimmer with a similar problem. I have cleaned the carburator, replaced the gas filter, and cleaned the exterior of the motor. I was looking for some repair manuals that would detail how to re-assemble the whole trimmer, clutch, carburator, etc. Is this information available on-line somewhere?

Old 05-05-04, 01:27 PM
Go to Stihl's website and I bet you can find a manual for it. It will ask you for your model number. Manuals are usually in PDF format, so you will have to have Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view them. To get Acrobat Reader, type those words into a search engine to get to the website. Let us know if we can help you further.

Old 05-05-04, 01:55 PM
wsbeach1
Visiting Guest
I haven't messed with the high speed adjustment. It only has the idle adjustment screw. And by the way I forgot to say this is a 4 cycle engine. I may try the coil if it isn't too expensive.

Old 05-05-04, 02:05 PM
I already knew that it was a 4 cycle engine but not sure if the others knew. I looked at your model on serveral websites that sell the trimmer. I was looking at the reviews left by people like you and me. Lets just say they were not too happy with there trimmer. To read exactly what they said, put these words in your Google search engine.

Ryobi 890R

I hope you get this fixed though. They are not bad trimmers if your just going to use them once and a while.

Old 05-05-04, 02:59 PM
miken586
Visiting Guest
Hard starting Stihl FS-36

I appreciate the info on where to get a Safety Manual. You are correct, a manual is available on-line at the Stihl web-site. What I was looking for is a repair manual, and how to mount up the clutch/starter assembly. After a couple of pulls to start-up, the clutch tightens down on the casing of the motor. Please suggest a correct way to install the clutch/ starter.
Thanks;
MN

Old 07-26-08, 08:55 PM
Troy-Bilt TR450CR 4 cycle trimmer stalling

I have a Troy-Bilt TR450CR 4 cycle trimmer which I think may be the same as your Stihl FS-36. I have the same problem and wanted to know what the fix was on this. It starts very easy and runs great on idle. I can give it a little throttle but can't get past mid-throttle before it stalls out. I see only one adjustment screw on the carb but that doesn't seem to help.

Old 07-27-08, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by in_titusville View Post
I have a Troy-Bilt TR450CR 4 cycle trimmer which I think may be the same as your Stihl FS-36. I have the same problem and wanted to know what the fix was on this. It starts very easy and runs great on idle. I can give it a little throttle but can't get past mid-throttle before it stalls out. I see only one adjustment screw on the carb but that doesn't seem to help.
I suggest you start a new thread. This one is from 2004. Your trimmer is NOTHING like a Stihl FS36.

Old 07-27-08, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Airman View Post
I suggest you start a new thread. This one is from 2004. Your trimmer is NOTHING like a Stihl FS36.
Sorry... Grabbed the Stihl FS36 from a reply from the original post (it was late last night...). The original post was about a Ryobi 890r which from the owners manual and the illustrated parts list I found online looks to be the same as my Troy-Bilt. I posted a reply to this because the trimmer looks the same and seems to have the same problem and there was no resolution posted for this.