Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Busted Mower

05-05-04, 04:09 PM   #1  
Busted Mower

Hi folks,

Well I did it!!! I just ran over a paving stone and now my electic mower doesn't work. It will run if I have the blade off but as soon as I put the blade on it siezes up. It's a McCulloch MM2051 so I am having problems finding parts in canada. Anybody got any ideas on how to fix it (might be the magnet) or where I could find a replacement motor and I am wondering if it would be better to buy another mower rather than replace the motor on this one.

Thanks in advance
F.O.G.

Sponsored Links

05-05-04, 04:38 PM   #2  
This could be a simple fix. Most of the time what happens with mowers when you hit a big rock, stone, or other large media, the blade gets bent and then rubs against the deck. My advice is to remove the blade to see if it is bent. To remove the blade, you will see a nut in the middle of the blade, use the apropriete socket sise to remove the blade. If the blade is bent, replace the blade. Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-05-04, 05:15 PM   #3  
More Checking To Do First

Hello: F.O.G.

May have a coupling between motor and blade adaptor. Check for one. If there is one it may be broken. Also check between deck and motor shaft.

All else fails, pull motor out. May have internal parts damages. Blade stops abruptly causes internal motor damages and or havoc to motor parts.

Fact that motor runs with blade off, as mentioned, indicates some positive results.

What is not known is;
>Is the shaft and blade adaptor turning when motor is running or is the shaft and or adapter not rotating???<<<

Not rotating but motor running, may indicate a break away coupling is between motor and blade adapter or on the shaft, etc. Check and see.

Or the motor is a direct drive....
In this case, motor internal damage may have occurred.

If motor appears damaged internally, electric motor repair shops are up there somewhere in Canada too...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair. Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

*And now you know the rest of the story...(*Paul Harvey)
Which is all below:

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

..........Generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. (Some mower and or repair shops also sell electric mowers too) Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

05-06-04, 05:41 PM   #4  
Thanks for the advice guys,

I went shopping for a new mower but the prices are way to high so I opted to get this one fixed. First I looked at getting a new motor but that was $146 and since I only payed $149 for the whole thing a year ago thats not going to happen so I took out the motor and had a good look at it. I found the magnet in pieces around the armature so It's not going to be an easy fix. The good news is I took it to shop and the guy there said it looked just like the Black and Decker 12 amp motor so he figures he can find an old magnet for it and if the winding isn't toast it should be good as new. Anyway thanks again for the advice.

Cheers
F.O.G.

05-06-04, 07:00 PM   #5  
Glad we were of help.

Search this Thread