Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plastic Limiter

05-05-04, 06:41 PM   #1  
Plastic Limiter

I have a Homelite 2-cycle string trimmer.Awhile back I had to cut the limiter part on the carb adjustment so it would run better and run it did, like a dream! I think I need to adjust it again but it is so chewed up I can't get a screwdriver to turn it.How can I fix this???

Sponsored Links

05-05-04, 07:21 PM   #2  
Just use you fingers to turn the screws.

05-05-04, 10:43 PM   #3  
I'll try that ,but it looks like I can't get my fingers around it with that little metal stopper right beside it.If I could somehow get that out of the way I could probably get it by hand.

05-06-04, 06:21 PM   #4  
re: limiter screw

Hello Romod:

If I were you I'd look at adhesives and such. Take a screw and file the end of the point to which it needs to be mounted and do the same with a good screw.

What comes to mind for me is something called Metal-Weld. I can easily be wrong on the name but there are a lot of products out there like this. I used it to "glue" a screw to one I could not get to any other way and it worked well.

Good Luck,

Snowman53

Visiting Guest

05-06-04, 08:19 PM   #5  
Resaw
Not a very reccomended technique, but if you really know what you're doing, and only if you really do, you can probably just pull those plastic limiters off (with some needle nose pliers), and underneath, there may be just the norm old carb adjustment screws.

Good luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-04, 12:22 AM   #6  
Hello romod!

Resaw is right, the limiter caps can be removed using needlenose pliers or they can be pried up with a screwdriver.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-07-04, 04:19 AM   #7  
Bear this in mind

If at one time (and likely many times) the engine ran well without ever having to make a carburetor adjustment and now you do need to make an adjustment (further than the limiter caps allow), this means that the carburetor needs to be serviced or possible trouble elsewhere is brewing and adjustment is necessary to compensate. Just something to think about.

05-09-04, 06:47 PM   #8  
Were you able to tune the engine up the way you wanted it?

05-09-04, 10:50 PM   #9  
Haven't had a chance to get at it yet, been working.Next mowing I do i'll try it out.Thanks for all the advise!

05-17-04, 07:56 PM   #10  
Today I finally got around to do some mowing before the storms hit.I tinkered around with that limiter with some needle nosed pliers ,couldn't pull it out but I mashed it up enough that I was able to cut it down with a razor.There is a nice little screw in there now that I can turn all I want with a screwdriver and it runs great!

05-17-04, 09:00 PM   #11  
I am glad to here that. Sometimes with these limiter caps, all they do is provent you from tuning the engine. Once removed, or mashed up as you said, it is then assessable. Glad you got it tuned.

Search this Thread