engine only runs on choke

Old 05-05-04, 07:28 PM
youthpastorryan
Visiting Guest
Briggs Engine MUST be Choked to start

Hey everyone. I'm finishing up a go kart and have a problem with my engine. It starts perfectly BUT the choke must be left on to idle & run. Even if I give it plenty of gas when I open the choke it dies.

It also doesn't have a ton of power (it's a 9hp--and it won't even fully rap out the torque converter and a bare axle). I assume that the choke is part of the problem.

Just let me know if you can help.

It's a briggs and stratton Vanguard 9hp engine from a power washer.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-04, 08:43 PM
Check the choke and see if it will open and close when you use the choke. If it does than your choke is not the cluprit. If it does not move properly and or is stuck, then use Automotive Gumout spray cleaner to remove gunk and or varnish. Let us know how it goes.

PS: It would help if we knew your model numbers off of your engine. Can you post them for us? Thanks...

Old 05-07-04, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Ryan!

I split this thread from the thread you posted it in, since it was not pertaining to the thread you posted it in.

You have a carburetor problem. Remove the fuel bowl and check the passages in the bowl screw and inside the carb. Clean it well and let us know what you find/how it does.

Old 05-09-04, 06:44 PM
How did you make out?

Old 02-21-07, 07:21 PM
Was this problem resolved

Did the suggestion fix the problem with 'chopke only'? And would the same solution be applied to a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Quantum engine? It powers an Excell power wash.

I open the choke and it starts fine. I close the choke and the engine sputters and dies.

Old 02-21-07, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jetstream, this thread is about 3 years old, so I doubt you'll get a reply from the originator of this thread.

You say the engine sputters and dies when you close the choke. That is normal. The choke should only be closed to get it started. If it runs fine with the choke open, then that's what you want.

Old 02-23-07, 11:29 AM
Allow me to rephrase

When the lever switch is on choke (for cold start) it starts. When I move the lever to "run" the engine dies.

I do understand the choke closes the butterfly valves in the carb thus restricting air and causing a rich mix of fuel. So you're right, technically.
Thanks!

So could this mean when I switch the choke to "run" the mixture becomes too lean? ... fuel starved?

My engine does have that little bowl underneath the carb. It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal remove, clean, and replace.

Old 02-23-07, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You suspect correctly. The fuel mixture is too lean. I'd remove the bowl, and there should be some small holes in the bowl screw. Use a piece of wire to unclog them, and clean out the bowl, and see if that solves the problem. If not, you may need to clean out the entire carb.