Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Saw Recommendation ?

Visiting Guest

05-08-04, 11:09 AM   #1  
dandylion
Saw Recommendation ?

I have a 3/4 acre lot with quite a few trees, landscaping, etc. I have most of the tools and equipment I need (mowers, tractor, pruners, blower, etc., etc.), but I don't own a single saw!

I'm thinking that since I don't have any other saws, I'll want the one I buy to be versatile. I'll probably use it mostly to prune, trim, cut up branches and larger debris, and remove some existing unwanted landscaping. And naturally, all other things being equal, I'd rather spend less.

I'd appreciate any recommendations based on your firsthand experiences.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

05-08-04, 11:53 AM   #2  
I would buy a Stihl or Echo saw. They a very well built and they get the job done. They have strong engines to pretty much cut through anything. So I sugest going to there websites and checking them out.

AL

05-08-04, 12:38 PM   #3  
I'm a little partcial to Stihl & ehco also but their are a few questions to to be answered before going out and buying the first chain saw that you see.

(1) - What kind of wood will I be cutting? hard wood or soft wood

(2) - how often will I use this saw? every day,or once in a while

(3) - how long a bar can I get by with 10,12,14,18,20,24,36???????

The above quetions will help us make a better suggestion to you in order for you to make a better choice as to which saw is ideal for your needs.

05-08-04, 04:45 PM   #4  
re: which saw?

Hello Dandy:

For regular use I'd recommend the following:

1. Stihl or Huskqvarna
2. Echo

None are cheap consumer gear and all will give you many years of service if you care for them properly.

While I am partial to Husky, Stihl parts are more available here and they ARE a great saw.

Tip: buy from a local equipment supplier--not a big box store.

You might pay $10 to $20 more but will not regret it

Good Luck,

Snowman53

Visiting Guest

05-08-04, 08:41 PM   #5  
Resaw
I understand all of you love the quality and durability of a well built saw like Stihl. But for someone who you can classify as a home owner, sometimes such a saw would be overkill, and would never be used enough to justify the price of a saw that costs 3 times as much as a saw which would be made more for the homeowner in mind--Economical, and sufficient. I don't want you to get me wrong, the saws that were mentioned are great. But, with all that said...i bought an 18" Homelite last year, so far i probably have 50 hours on it, and the thing hasn't missed a beat. I understand that it won't last as long a a stihl, or husky, or echo, but it has paid for itself countless times already. Anyway, i just thought i would inject a little of what i thought.

Good luck.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-04, 10:32 PM   #6  
Hello dandylion!

I agree with the reccomendations so far. The stihl (being my favorite) is a great machine, as are the husqvarna and echo. The difference is not only in the quality, ease of operation, vibration control, and power, but also in reliability and durability. A good saw will last much longer, do the job better, faster, easier, safer, and with less effort and repair. The trouble with low end saws if after a couple of years they don't want to start when you are ready to use them, and/or give up before you're ready to. A little saw I love to keep around is my stihl FS009. I think they are still available, and they are strong and small....great for homeowner application. Mine was built in 1985 and has given me no trouble other than regular maintainence. I think I had to clean the carb once, and the fuel lines dry rotted and I had to replace them once.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-09-04, 06:50 PM   #7  
Otoe
Electric Chainsaw

Don't know what size trees you may want to fall, but if that isn't seen
in the future, an electric chainsaw may be good enough for trimming, etc.
They are light weight, no gas or carb adjustments to deal will, and cut
OK for the light stuff around, like Christmas tree stumps. If you don't see
using it often, electric may be the way to go. You are limited by the
power cord. I'm on a 3/4 acre lot and can reach my borders with a 100 foot
power cord. If you plan on cutting hardwood trees down, though, go with
the gas powered chainsaws. I've used Poulan saws with good success.
Had a 16" bar for 13 years with no problem. Went with an 18" here recently,
cut a 14" cherry hardwood tree with no problems, other than having to
adjust the carb. It is a rebuilt with as new warranty. A cheaper way to
go. Nothern Tools have these type of deals.

Just some thoughts,

Otoe

Search this Thread