Tubeless tires

Old 05-08-04, 09:01 PM
Question Tubeless tires

Let me ask what may seem like a stupid question...how do you go about fixing a tubeless lawn tactor tire that has come off its rim?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello JackB!

Not a stupid question at all.

It can be difficult sometimes, and the best way may be to remove the wheel and take it in to a tire shop.

If you'd like to repair yourself: Make sure the rim is clean and rust-free around the area where the bead of the tire seats against it. Make sure the tire bead is clean. Wipe some liquid soap around the tire bead, and remove the valve stem core. With a blower nozzle on the end of the air hose, inflate the tire while pushing on it in 3 spots...like kneeling down and pressing it on the ground, using you knee to push on it in another spot, and your free hand in the other. This will usually make the sidewalls expand enough to make the bead contact the rim and hold air. When it fills, let go and quickly install the valve core. You may need to use a strap wrapped around the tire to squeeze it enough to get the sidewalls out enough to make them contact the rim.

Old 05-09-04, 01:02 PM
How did you make out? I remember when I had to get my tires back onto there rims, I had to do the folowing cheese described, but also needed a compressor for the extra volume, and another person to help push the tire on the rim untill the air did the rest. I also used a rope which I tied tightly around the tire to help it get back on the rim. Just make sure everything is clean and soapy as you do it. If the reason this tire went flat because it has small hole or holes in it, then buy yourself a can or more of Fix-A-Flat. What this stuff will do is seal up the little hole or holes in the tire so you only have to put air in the tire once a year. But keep in mind, aftor you use it, you will have pump air into the tire to get it to recomended PSI. Its a hard and lenghty process, but you will get it.

Old 05-09-04, 02:03 PM
Appreciate the fast response. I generally take it to a tire place...just wondering what you could do in an emergency. A friend of mine also said that you could "ignite some lighter fluid" inside the tire also. He swears by it.

Old 05-12-04, 05:49 AM
I've heard of a guy trying that method before. I think he now has rubber schrapnel in his forehead. Just kidding...but I'd wrap a belt (provided you're not very skinny) or other similar device around the circumference to aid you in inflating. Good luck.

Old 05-13-04, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard of it too, even seen it done. VERY dangerous and definitely not reccomended. It works until it hurts you.

Old 05-15-04, 04:03 AM
joeh20
Visiting Guest
I had a tough time on my first tire change at home. I bought a new tire from the walmart one cool morning. The tire had been in the unheated part of the tire warehouse. I couldn't get it flexible enough to go on the rim. I found a site that go cart racer post to and read about a guy putting his tires in the oven at 200 F. for 20 minutes or so and then using gloves or potholders slipping the toasty tire on the rim. Let it cool and fill her up with air. I didn't think I get could get to the wife's oven with a tire. So I put a grill rack on my kerosene heater. It worked like a dream. I might could do a rear tire on a warm day, but a front tire on a cold day takes some doing.

Search this Thread