adjusting pressure on pressure washer

Old 05-09-04, 03:59 PM
HeatherJ
Visiting Guest
adjusting pressure on pressure washer

My husband and I bought a Kodiak CG1800VG pressure washer but we've lost the instruction book. I can't find a Kodiak website on the Internet, and my husband is having a problem with adjusting the water pressure on it. Does anyone know how to do that? Do I need more product information?
Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-04, 06:02 PM
re: Kodiak pressure washers

Hello Heather:

I'll assume you and your husband live in Canada or Alaska. I'd never heard of Kodiak Pressure washers but the name alone was a clue. So was the domain extension after I Googled.

I live in NY not far from the Canadian border and have a cousin in Alaska.

Anyway, I did not find a manual for your machine but did find specs on one section the Kodiak website. For some reason I was not able to access their main page. It's a PDF file, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader (free from Adobe)

Note: If you are running Windows 2000 and download the new Acrobat reader you will also have to download the W2K service packs from Microsoft--or go to http://www.oldversions.com and find an older issue of the acrobat reader

It's my habit to never post URL's, but in this case I think it will be obvious I am not a spammer.

Heck...any winter folks here know me, as I'm a snowblower guy.

Here is the URL to their product line: http://www.kodiakpower.ca/literature/download/Kodiak(02)e.pdf

Seems clear to me your washer is the 1,800 PSI model with a 4 HP Briggs.

2.1 GPM and 3,780 CU (cleaning units.)

That said, your question was about "adjusting" the pressure.
As far as I know, not one consumer grade washer like yours--or any of the low end commercial units allow that as it were--say with a valve or knob.

First, lets deal with the CU value:

The CU value is calculated by multiplying the PSI and the flow of the particular unit. Naturally, the higher the pressure and the higher the water flow, the more dirt the water beam will be able to remove.
Example: A pressure washer with a pressure of 2000 PSI and a water flow of 2 gallons per minute will have a cleaning unit number CU = 2000*2 = 4000.

Now...marketing is everything, so consumer grade pressure washers are sold by touting PSI--yet GPM is what counts. I suppose this is analgous to the way computer CPU's are marketed: "It's a Pentium 4 gazillion gigahertz!!!"
Fact is, subsystems are more important on a PC. Memory type and quality, hard drive speed etc.

Back to your original question on "adjusting" pressure. This is accomplished with tips of varying sizes on every unit I've seen until one gets to VERY expensive commercial units in the $5,000 plus range with diesel engines.

I have a DeVilbliss unit I keep here at home. Has a 5.5 HP Honda OHC engine but does only 2.8 GPM at 2800 PSI. Nice machine but still not commercial.

That said...it has five tips and pressure is adjusted by the size of the tip.
There is a low pressure tip for application of deck and fence cleaners etc, yet the finest tip allows VERY high pressure, is nearly 0 degree and using that one can write one's name on a 50 yr old concrete sidewalk.

I will look for a good link to the manual you need and post it if I find it.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Snowman53

Old 05-09-04, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Snowman: You are right about the Canadian connection - They are quite popular.

HeatherJ:

A way I know of to be able to adjust pressure is as Snowman has said by changing nozzles.
Also, some units have an adjustable spray nozzle. It can be rotated to go from a wide spray to a fine stream.
Other units have an adjustable knob which sets the unloader valve to lower the pressure.

Old 05-09-04, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On fixed unloader valves, I have shimmed the valve spring with washers to increase pressure, but this is not reccomended by the mfgr. It also is pushing more out of the unit than was intended. Changing nozzles is probably the way yours adjusts.

Old 05-10-04, 03:15 AM
The easiest way is to purchase an adjustable control wand. The right hand holds the trigger, and the left hand handle rotates and adjusts water flow all the way down to standard hose pressure.
(that is if the hose has a quick sisconnect at the wand- it should)

fred

Old 05-10-04, 11:50 AM
HeatherJ
Visiting Guest
a big thank you

To all of you who responded,

Thank you so much for your quick response! I'll hand all of your advice over to my husband!

(And yes, we live in Canada!)

Heather