Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 170 Transmission Problem

Visiting Guest

05-10-04, 05:47 PM   #1  
aashby
John Deere 170 Transmission Problem

I have a John Deere Model 170 lawn tractor that my Father-In-Law gave me when he bought a new tractor. I think it is a 1991 model, but I am not sure. It cuts great, but I have a problem with the transmission. It is a 5 speed model. The transmission slips a little in 2nd, a lot in 3rd. 1st, 4th and 5th seem all right. I have to mow in 1st (too slow) or 4th (sometimes too fast if the grass is high). Any thoughts? Is this something I could fix myself?

Sponsored Links

05-10-04, 06:06 PM   #2  
Your belt may be slipping on the pully. Without tearing the transmition apart, look underneath the mower at the pully under the transmition. If it looks worn out that you probably have to replace the belt. Let us know what you find out?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-10-04, 11:45 PM   #3  
Hello aashby!

Does it feel like it is skipping more than slipping (kind of jerky, like gears stripping)? Does it go at all in the problem gears?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-11-04, 02:17 AM   #4  
aashby
Yes, it will go (move) in the problem gears, but it jerks. Seems to be worse with a load (uphill).

I will check the belt when I get home from work today.

p.s. I do not hear (or smell) any belt slippage.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-04, 01:46 AM   #5  
You have internal damage in the tranny. Repairing the internals can be a bit daunting for the beginner, but it can be done. If you wish to try to repair it, let us know and we'll help walk you through it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-15-04, 04:42 AM   #6  
aashby
I would like to give it a try, but would prefer to wiat until after the season when I can take my time without worrying about the grass getting out of hand. Do you think it will cause more damage to wait if I avoid using the problem gears?

NY

05-15-04, 01:19 PM   #7  
Of course it could, but what do you have to lose at this point. The tranny sounds as though it could fail altogether any time anyhow. If it does fail we'll walk you through the disassembly and repair procedure as best can with words. How about the tractors' serial number and we'll get a jump on it by being able to look at which tranny you have by way of Deere's Website. The serial # will be on a tag on the frame and will be the last six numbers on the tag.

Visiting Guest

05-16-04, 09:24 AM   #8  
aashby
The Serial Number is 012044

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 03:46 AM   #9  
aashby
I can not find the page on the deere web site to obtain any information on the transmission. Any pointers?

NY

05-18-04, 04:27 PM   #10  
Here you go

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Click on "model search", type in "170" and you're on your way. Pay attention to differences according to serial number breaks, where applicable.

Search this Thread