Key is stuck in keyway

Old 06-03-04, 04:45 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Key is stuck in keyway

I have a Toro model 56145 with a peerless standard transmission that has eaten a bushing and requires the trans case to be replaced. A gear driven shaft that receives the power from the clutch belt has a key stuck in it that I cant remove without heating it. Im thinking that the needle bearings that support this shaft will not like the heat very much. I need a tip as to how to remove the key from the slot. It has been in there since 1987. I tried an air chisel tip on the end of the key with no success. I tried fastening a vise grip to it and tapping on those with a hammer...would not budge. Who has a secret weapon out there for doing this without a torch?

Old 06-03-04, 04:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Key removal

Try using a drift punch and heavy hammer. Since this should be a woodruff key (half-moon shaped), striking on an extreme end of the key may work to break it free far enough (until the punch is hitting the shaft) then use diagonal pliers to grab and pry out. Good luck!!!

Old 06-03-04, 06:21 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Key stuck in shaft

Hey, the hammer and the punch got it loose enough to get out with a properly applied lever from the case side of the key. Pliers were hopeless. Great suggestion, I just have to replace the cheap key, and not the bearings or the shaft. Thanks!

Old 06-04-04, 03:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good news! Be sure to use anti-sieze upon reassembly to prevent this in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: