Tranny Oil Plug

Old 05-12-04, 12:59 PM
Tranny Oil Plug

Hi Cheese. You know that 8HP rear engine Murray rider I have? And you remember that type of transmition I have? My question is that I am trying to get at the oil fill cap, which I believe I have found because I am trying to remove it. But I want to make sure I am in the right area. When I say oil fill, I am talking about the tranny oil plug. I think I am in the right area, but need your help. Thanks...

For those who can help me that don't know what kind of tranny I have extra info bellow...

I have a 16 year old Murray rear engine rider. This was given to me and I had to do alot of repairs to get it going. I don't have a model number because it is either missing or worn off. How I know how old it is was because I called up B&S and gave them the engin's model number. And so knowing how old the engine is, that must be how old the mower is. But not having a model number makes everything practicly impossible because I can not pull up a diagram or anything to help me out. It sucks I know. I have never worked on this type of transmition before, and I am trying to get at the oil plug. I think I have found it at the top of the tranny, but loosining the plug that seems to be inside a big nut does not seem to help. I think its the oil fill plug. This type of transmition is the kind where the mower breaks via the tranny. So brake pads in tranny. And the tranny drives the mower via a chain drive from the tranny to the wheels. I think you guys get what kind of tranny this is. Can anyone help me? I am going crasy.LOL

Last edited by Terminator20; 05-12-04 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 04:13 PM
I found what I believe to be the plug but I can not get it off.

Old 05-13-04, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some don't have a plug. Sounds to me like you are changing detent adjustments or something.

Old 05-13-04, 12:51 AM
I am curious Cheese

What is a detent setting? Sounds sophisticated

I also found next to what I think is a plug, is a post that looks like a battery post only that on the top has two regular screws. My guess is that they are some kind of transmition setting screws. I am curious to learn what these things are. Thanks Cheese...

Old 05-13-04, 03:14 AM
Being a rear engine rider, you most likely have a Peerless 700-series transmission. With this tranny there is no oil, just grease. The "battery post" looking item is the neutral safety switch.

Old 05-14-04, 01:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Detents are the spots in the transmission that make it "click" when you get it in the right gear. Some of these little trannies had 2 screws that could be used to change the spring tension on them if I remember right.