Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What Riding Mower Sholud I Buy?

Visiting Guest

05-12-04, 07:54 PM   #1  
ejstrollo
What Riding Mower Should I Buy?

I am buying a home which has approx. 2 acres of well established and maintained lawn. The land is level, with little if any sloping. There are several obstacles scattered about, such as trees and herb gardens. The current owner has a 1997 John Deere 345 garden tractor, 20 HP, 48 inch deck, good condition, and a tiller attachment for it. He's asking $5000 for all, $4000 for just the tractor. and $1000 for the tiller. Even though its a John Deere, the price seems a little steep, when I can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a brand new similiarly spec'ed Husqvarna or Toro for around $2000. What I need to know is if the John Deere is worth the extra $$$? What other brands
are good, and what features do I need? I am not expecting to need the tiller,
as I already have a push-tiller. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ed

Last edited by ejstrollo; 05-12-04 at 08:16 PM. Reason: misspell

Sponsored Links

05-12-04, 09:10 PM   #2  
John Deer tractors a very well built, especialy the garden tractors. That is top quality tractor there and he is selling for good price. I would buy that if I were you. But you could allways go online at www.johndeer.com and buy yourself a GT235 with less HP and at a higher price than what he is selling his.

Visiting Guest

05-12-04, 09:46 PM   #3  
Bugalou
Thats alot of money for a 7 year old tractor even if its a John Deere and parts are very expensive for them...Maybe someone could clarify this for me but I don't think Deere lawn tractors have the same quality they had back in the day..What country are they made in now??..I'd look into this a bit, if its China,Korea,Taiwan,Mexico,Russia..I would not buy it.. Japan or USA then I would think about it...I would also take a look at it and see how its made, is it sturdy?..does it have a solid feel to it?..is the sheet metal wobbley and as thin as paper?..Are the axles heavy duty looking with grease fittings at the pivot points on the front wheels?..If it was me, I would probably end up going to Lowes and getting a brand new one for half the price, at least I know it wasn't abused or its oil was never changed but its up to you to decide..

bug

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-04, 12:08 AM   #4  
A JD 345 is a heck of a mower/tractor, and lack of quality is not an issue. Nothing you will buy at a box store will compete with the quality. The price, well, you can see what condition it is in, and if you think it's a deal, go for it. Get the exact model# and check to see what that particular mower costs, and use that as a guide. Deeres hold their value much better than most box store brands.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-13-04, 08:17 AM   #5  
Bugalou
Heck..you can buy 2 of the Lowes mowers for 4000 bucks and have your wife drive the other one and get the mowing job done twice as fast..Check out www.yesterdaystractors.com I think they have a dedicated Deere forum over there, find out what they say about em..

Bug

Visiting Guest

05-13-04, 08:29 PM   #6  
ejstrollo
Going for the New

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going with the new unless the couple selling
the Deere lower the price a bit since they're moving across country and won't
be needing the mower where they are going.

05-14-04, 04:43 PM   #7  
re: Deere tractor

Hello:

Personally I think 4K to 5K is way too much.

In that price range you could get a Ferris or Dixie Chopper commercial mower with ZTR, then buy a cheap MTD tractor for the occasional tilling etc.

With a commercial mower you'll cut the time you need to spend considerably.

Example: my neighbor's lawn that takes 55 minutes to mow on a 42" Deere is finished in about 10 minutes with a Ferris.

Regards,

Snowman53

Search this Thread