Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnboy axle problem

05-13-04, 08:46 PM   #1  
lawnboy axle problem

O.K. Here's the problem. My aunt has a lawnboy self propelled push mower that is a few years old. Well, my grampa changed the axle on it cause the old one had too much back lash in the gear that was driven by the pulley, so it no longer pulled. Well, the new one had acted up in a strange way, it would free wheel when pushed forward but would engauge when pulled backward. For some reason it stopped doing it for a little while but now it is doing it again. I took appart both wheel assemblies and everything can only go one way. Any clue why it would act this way? My last option would be to add a washer to the gear on the old one and put the old one back on. Anybody has any ideas?????? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

05-14-04, 09:20 AM   #2  
Did I not learn something the other day about wheel keys and axle keys? I seem to remember that axle keys have to be lined up just right or its not going to work. So, basically it sounds like all the keys have to be in place in order to get this to work. So, I guess check that. You can also post pictures of it in my email. Let us know how it goes.

NY

05-15-04, 01:34 PM   #3  
The fact that the pinion gears will only turn one way is proper (unless you have reverse, which it does not). While you didn't provide a model and serial number, I'll assume this is a newer style drive. Each drive pinion will be side specific and the drive key should be spring loaded and recessed into the axle. What could be the problem is that you may simply have too much belt tension. When released (belt tension), the pulley should slip by the belt to allow for freewheeling backwards. Other possibilities (assuming I have the right drive system in mind) is that there is debris build up in the pulley grooves (both engine and tranny) and/or debris build up on the vee of the belt. Check these and let us know along with the units' model and serial numbers. Also be sure the pinions are on the correct sides, although I believe that you do since you can move the unit foward without trouble.

05-15-04, 02:53 PM   #4  
The drive key on each side can only fit on one side, not the other, and the rest of the assembly on each side is exactly identical, both the gears, springs, clips, and the little plastic piece that engauges the key. The belt had plenty of slack in it and both the belt and the pulley are clean. When the mower is pulled backwards, you can see the pulley rotating and you can hear the gears moving in the axle. I remember when I had everything appart, and I would rotate the gear on the axle holding light pressure on it toward the mower, it would catch in the right dirrection and would free-wheel in the other, but when I would push on the gear harder like the spring would once assembled, it would act the opposite way, which was the wrong way. From what I can tell, the key twists some in the key slot, thus allowing the gear to slip over it when going in one dirrection, but the key would roate and angle itself just enough to allow the corner of it to catch the gear when it's rotated the other way. I will try to get the model numbers.

Here is a diagram of what the whole assembly looks like:
http://www.partsandservice.com/bin/ipl.cgi

Last edited by mower17; 05-15-04 at 03:17 PM.

NY

05-16-04, 09:12 AM   #5  
Phunny drive

This is slightly older than the drive type I had in mind. I do know what you have and I suggest the following: 1- Disassemble each side (servicing one side at a time so that if you question the side you're working on you can refer to the other assembled side for reference) of the drive (laying out a towel in order to keep each individual piece in order) and thoroughly clean with spray carburetor cleaner all the components. Note that there should be no need to remove the wheel arm pivot, only all the parts up to this point. 2- Reassemble in the proper order using a "00" grease lightly on all parts. ("00" grease is a gearcase grease similar to that found in the tranny of this unit). 3- Continue on to the other side as mentioned above.
If you question the funny shaped keys, I would replace them. It is also possible that the order of the components may have been installed incorrectly and would refer to Lawn-Boy's Website using your model and serial numbers for correct order of such. The key (pun intended) here is to ensure correct parts order as well as the use of "00" grease, as I have found this grease to work very well on these drive types.

Search this Thread