carb help

Old 05-16-04, 05:32 AM
wonder3dog5
Visiting Guest
Unhappy carb help

I have a craftsman LT with a techcumseh OHV12HP it sat for 3 years while a neighbor was out of the country,he gave it to me when he returned,the carb was completly dried up the inside of of the bowl looked like dried oatmeal I cleaned it up and got gas flowing but I messed up the flote ajustment got it running but it kept backfiring and the muffler was starting to glow, and when I shut it down gas kept flowing,any help is apprecited?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-04, 08:45 AM
This 'aint your mamas oatmeal

Sounds to me that during the storage period, the mower was stored outside or in a damp place. The oatmeal-like substance is the result of a chemical reaction between gas, water and the aluminum of your carburetor. In most cases such as this, it is unlikely that the carburetor will clean up well enough to perform well, even with means known to me. Which means you will likely have to go buy a new carb. The fact that the fuel flow won't stop indicates either an inlet needle & seat or float problem or possibly both. If you care to try something without any guarantee (and possibly out a few bucks) go to your local NAPA store and buy a gallon of #6401 Carburetor Cleaner, remove the carb from the engine, disassemble the carburetor and soak the main body in this cleaner for 20 minutes. You will need to post back with your engines' serial number and I can provide a carb kit part number as well as all other appropriate necessary parts you should replace. Note that this cleaner is very powerful and all rubber parts (including the seat) and most plastic parts will need to be removed from the carb before dipping in the solution. Also use hand and eye protection. The reason the muffler is glowing red could be that it is now rusted and the material is thin and easily heated...you may want to replace this as well.

Old 05-16-04, 03:58 PM
wonder3dog5
Visiting Guest
Question

The engine# is 143-436142 ser#31910 craftsman model#502-255120 also I think I messed up the flote ajustment so if you know what that should be that would help?

Last edited by wonder3dog5; 05-16-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 05:31 PM
I hate to say it, but, Puey61 is correct. It sounds like your going to need a whole new carberator.

Old 05-17-04, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wonder3dog5!

Turn the carb upside down so that the float is facing up. At the end opposite of the float hinge, use a #4 drill bit to set the float level. The float should rest in such a manner as to just allow the drill bit fit between the float and carb body.

Old 05-17-04, 03:51 AM
Carburetor rebuild part numbers

Here are the Tecumseh part numbers of concern you will/may need:
Carb kit - 632347; Float - 632019; Bowl - 631951 or 631867; Fuel fitting 632527 (if the fitting loosens during soaking); Gaskets - 33263 (carb to manifold) & 35958 (manifold to block)
When soaking has been completed, remove the carb from your soak pan and wash off the carb with a spray carburetor cleaner. Remember to use protective gloves as well as eyewear.
If the fitting does loosen during the soaking period - you'll know if when you grasp ahold of the fitting after soaking and it seems at all loose to the splined piece it is factory-assembled to - then post back and I'll provide specific details on how to correctly and safely replace this. Usually, soaking for only 20 minutes (in the NAPA #6401 Cleaner) does not loosen the fitting. Again remember this may or may not work, if in fact the carburetor was exposed to water for an extended period. If possible, take a digital snapshot of the carburetor and include in your next post, we may be able to advise better on the condition of your carb.

Old 06-09-04, 10:31 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61

Fuel fitting 632527

If the fitting does loosen during the soaking period - you'll know if when you grasp ahold of the fitting after soaking and it seems at all loose to the splined piece it is factory-assembled to - then post back and I'll provide specific details on how to correctly and safely replace this. Usually, soaking for only 20 minutes (in the NAPA #6401 Cleaner) does not loosen the fitting. Again remember this may or may not work, if in fact the carburetor was exposed to water for an extended period. If possible, take a digital snapshot of the carburetor and include in your next post, we may be able to advise better on the condition of your carb.
I have to replace the same broken fitting in my carb. (broke during fuel line relacement). Would you mind posting instructions? I have the replacement part and it appears to just be a press fit, but I can't pull out the metal portion with vice grips. There has to be a trick

It would be nice if I could get my grass cut this weekend.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 06-10-04, 01:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Michael!

The plastic piece is all you need to remove and replace. The metal can stay on the carb.

Old 06-10-04, 06:49 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheese
Hello Michael!

The plastic piece is all you need to remove and replace. The metal can stay on the carb.
Um...Not after my first attempt

I used Vicegrips. The tool of choice for hacks. I'm usually better than that, but I was feeling lazy.

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-10-04, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol...I think you might be in need of a carb body now. Sorry to say.

Old 06-10-04, 10:20 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
I assume the fitting is just press fit into the body.

The nipple on the fitting is still there, just badly deformed.

I was thinking of drilling out the center of the fitting to a #10 screw, tapping and pulling the fitting out.

Old 06-11-04, 03:13 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
Success

Well, I was sucessful.

I cut the metal nipple off flush and tapped it 10-32.

I then created a puller out of a screw, washers and a nut larger than the size of the fuel fitting.

Here is the puller in use. It went "pop" after a little pressure was applied. I had to take the set-up apart to see if the fitting had moved or I broke something. The fitting moved as intended. I then completed the extraction.

I then pressed in the fitting using a F-body clamp. Its a little scary pressing on plastic, but it went in just fine.

The mower runs as expected and No More Leaks!

Thanks for the help.

edit: I guess this forum doesn't do imbeded images, but you get the idea anyway....

Old 06-12-04, 01:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cool... Good job. Most people would not have thought about that long enough to do what you did. I admire your resourcefullness.