2 cycle tools

Old 05-16-04, 12:33 PM
scfix413
Visiting Guest
Talking 2 cycle tools

i own a 2cycle weed eater and 2cycle blower and 2cycle edger...My question is my friends tell me i can use one mixture of oil and gas in all three 2cycles instead of having 3 gas cans with different mixtures. Are they right? i sure as heck dont want to ruin them. Please help this guy.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-04, 01:14 PM
40:1 That's what most guys put in their 2-stroke equipment.

Old 05-16-04, 05:27 PM
I agree. 40:1 mix ratio will not hurt anything. Go ahead and mix the gas in a 1 or 2 gallon gas can, depending on what one you have. Keep in mind though, if you mix in a 2 gallon gas can, then you have to double the amount of oil put in there. On the bottles they only give instructions for a 1 gallon gas can. Have fun.

Old 05-17-04, 04:53 AM
Whoa!

Before you use the same mixture in all three, we need to know what each individual unit calls for. If you have one at 32:1 another at 40:1 and the last at 50:1, you don't want the same mix for all three. The ONLY way you can have one mixture (and is what I highly recommend) is if you use full-synthetic oil for your mix, or if each one calls for the same mix. Otherwise, using petrolium based oil, mix at 32:1 - or 4oz. oil per gallon gas, to be safe.

Old 05-17-04, 01:13 PM
scfix413
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mower17
40:1 That's what most guys put in their 2-stroke equipment.
Thank you mower 17 for your response on 2 cycle tools...terminator 20 said same thing....but puey 61 says whoa!!!! They are a different mix...he says full synthetic oil , otherwise using petrolium based oil, mix at 32:1 oil per gallon. Naw i dont want to be a heck of a housewife..lol TYVM

Old 05-17-04, 02:48 PM
I'm not saying you do have equipment that calls for these mixes, just hypothetically. Since you didn't mention what exactly you have for equipment, I can't possibly know this. Go with what each individual manufacturer calls for (using petrolium based oil) OR mix up one batch using full-synthetic oil, rather than 3 possible mixes. Always follow the oil manufacturers mixing instructions when using synthetic. Using synthetic oil will allow you to use this mix in any equipment regardless of the equipment manufacturers recommendations on ratio.

Old 05-17-04, 03:42 PM
re: oil ratios

Hello Scfix:

Be careful VERY CAREFUL, about using a HIGHER ratio than recommended, or the engine may run far too lean, overheat and seize.

Here's an example: Most of my 2 cycle gear is 32:1 but I bought recently an edger that needs 40:1. According to the manual, 32:1 is fine but the unit may smoke more and the sparkplug may require cleaning more often.

That said, I've switched to 50:1 for everything but that is with specific oils; Echo and Husqvarna both sell oils that can be mixed at 50:1 and are safe for the engine--even if the manufacturer calls for 32:1.

Do NOT try this with any standard 2 cycle oil. I suspect Stihl also sells an oil that is fine at a 50:1 ration but have not checked. I use the Husqvarna as I have several of their motorcycles so buy by the case.

Good luck,

Snowman53

Old 05-17-04, 04:13 PM
Oil containers

Do not be fooled by what the label on any container/package of oil states. If it states it is 50:1 AND is good for one gallon, then the quantity will be 1.8 ounces of oil in the container/package. Or if the container/package states it is good for two gallons, it will then contain 3.6 ounces of oil. If a container/package is labeled 32:1 AND is good for one gallon of fuel, then the container/package contains 4 ounces of oil. And so on and so forth.
Moral: It's not the label, it is content in ounces. Also, don't assume that any oil is synthetic...ask the salesperson.

Old 05-18-04, 11:24 AM
scfix413
Visiting Guest
2 cycle

Thanks to all who responded: my weed eater takes 32:1...blower is 40:1 and edger is 50:1...thank you all very much... GREAT HELP

Search this Thread