Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh engine leaks lots of oil

Visiting Guest

05-16-04, 06:58 PM   #1  
Kushballz
Tecumseh engine leaks lots of oil

Hi Everybody, I have a problem with my 10 HP tecumseh riding mower engine. It leaks a lot of oil near the bottom of it, near the crankshaft and burns some. It leaks about 2 drops per second running, and about 4 drops per second off. Is the oil seal leaking, because i can only see it leak around the base.

Sponsored Links

05-16-04, 08:10 PM   #2  
Either oil is leaking around a seal that is worn out, or you have a crack in the crankcase and allowing oil to poor out. To know exactly what it is, I would suggest cleaning the area off really well with carb cleaner spray such as gumout, and look for where the oil is coming out. Let us know what you find?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-16-04, 11:59 PM   #3  
Hello Kushballz!

Sounds like you need a lower crankshaft seal. Should be easy to replace, and you probably don't have to remove the engine (depending on what kind of mower it is on).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-17-04, 04:05 AM   #4  
If you have oil anywhere above the absolute bottom of the engine, then you'll have a sump gasket issue - fairly common on older Tecumseh's. The area of concern is under the cylinder at the point where the oil pump piston is stationed in the sump cover. Engine removal is required to repair this. If your trouble is the PTO seal, this can usually be repaired without removal of the engine, just the engine pulley. To be certain where the source is, thoroughly clean the engine and then run, watching for the leak. Be sure your oil level is full before running!!! Let us know.

Visiting Guest

05-17-04, 11:54 AM   #5  
Kushballz
Thanks

ok Thanks for your help. I think the problem is a PTO seal. By the way, where would the sump gasket be located? I will pull the engine out becuase i also need to replace the rubber grommets holding the engine onto a plate which bolts onto the frame.

Danny

NY

05-17-04, 04:06 PM   #6  
sump

From the point where the engine rests on the frame, measure up about 1.25 inches. Around the whole circumference of the engine you'll see a "line". Below this line is the sump, the line is the gasket, above the line is the cylinder. Your engines' oil, when filled, will be at the gasket line.

Visiting Guest

05-17-04, 07:19 PM   #7  
Kushballz
Found the leak...

I found the leak; It was the hole that the govenor went into the crankcase. The govenor fell off a while ago and I had to relink the throttle controls. I pulled out the engine and cleaned it off and I blew into the breather tube and air came out of the hole. I tapped the hole and put a screw with an O-ring and blew in it again and it kept pressure. I also found a large amount of oil in the valve spring case. Was this possible because the crankcase didn't have a negative pressure in it?

Thanks,
Kushballz

NY

05-18-04, 03:21 PM   #8  
Lets get this straight

You stated you removed the governor shaft...Did you reinstall it? You stated you blew into the breather tube...With high pressure? If so, you likely ruined the breathers' reed valve, rendering it useless - replace the breather! You stated that there was what seemed to be excessive oil in the valve chamber and wondered if this was due to inadequate "pressure". What seems to be the problem here is not a matter of pressure, rather inadequate vacuum in the crankcase, likely due to an excessively sloppy governor shaft bore. Other possibilities for poor vacuum would be a bad seal (either one or both), a bad dipstick gasket/o-ring, badly worn rings, valve train issues or a bad sump gasket. To the best of my knowledge there is no oversize governor shaft available (to make up for an enlarged shaft hole). Does the shaft, when installed, seem to have alot of side play in the block? Post back with some answers.

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 07:21 PM   #9  
Kushballz
Answers & more questions

The govenor fell off of the shaft and the shaft went in (supposively). Before that happened the govenor wasn't working. I blew into the breather tube with my mouth (low pressure) and then there wasn't any leaks other than where the tube connects to the breather. With the shaft being inside the engine, I cannot test it out, nor find it if it went outside. It doesn't have any effect on the engine since I relinked it and it doesn't seem to be creating any disturbance. The engine works great and it'll start without choking it, except it burns oil from the intake valve case. I have to find some bolts to bolt the engine to the plate that holds it onto the frame of the riding mower; they all stripped off because the engine used to knock and backfire. Oh yea, I also tested the breather and it works fine.

Thanks
Kushballz

Last edited by Kushballz; 06-07-04 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread