Ready For New Mower

Old 05-18-04, 06:03 PM
zippy43
Visiting Guest
Question Ready For New Mower

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to replace a 1990 model Sears Lawn Tractor, 12hp B&S, 38 " cut. Still runs pretty good, even thougt carb needs to be rebuilt. Thing is deck is about trashed.
Patched up holes and replaced one arber last year. Just tired of working on it.
Anyway I've not seen many post on Snapper mowers and I'm kinda looking at them (rear engine) and Deer 100 seris. I'm only cutting about .5 acre, but refuse to push. Terrain is somewhat uneven in places so what I'm really looking for is a good deck that want scalp in places, but do want to pull a areator also. All opinions apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 06:27 PM
You could buy a Craftsman Lawn Tractor from Sears. They have good prices. Or you could buy a Husqvarna Lawn Tractor. They have good prices too. Both are built well without paying the high prices of John Deer and Toro. But if you don't mind paying the JD prices, you could buy a Lawn Tractor from the 100 or LT series.

Old 05-19-04, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Zippy43!

I like snapper mowers for their durability, but you mentioned uneven terrain. Rear engine snappers are more prone to scalp on uneven terrain than most lawn tractor style mowers. The lawn tractor style snapper, if it was an option, would be the winner here, but given the choice between a rear engine sanpper or a 100 series deere, the deere would win. But...only on uneven terrain. Hope that helps.

Old 05-19-04, 03:15 AM
As well

The type of drive on the Snapper may not be suitable to tow anything. Deere, by the way, has a rear engine rider that would have a drive suitable for towing, if you would like to stick with the rear engine theme.