Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garden Tractors and Lawn Tractors

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 07:03 PM   #1  
ChuckG
Garden Tractors and Lawn Tractors

This may seem like a dumb question, but what constitutes a lawn tractor, and what constitutes a garden tractor. From what I see, they both are available in the same hp, deck size, engine manufacturer, etc. So what's the difference?

Sponsored Links

05-18-04, 08:22 PM   #2  
Garden tractors are designed to use many different attachments and has the ability to mow your lawn. Lawn Tractors are designed for one thing and that thing is mow. Also garden tractors are built better than lawn tractors but they cost a much more significant amount of cash. Just look at John Deers website to see for yourself. Thanks...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-04, 01:15 AM   #3  
Hello ChuckG!

Not a dumb question.

Garden tractors generally have heavier, better built frames, front axles, and transaxles than lawn tractors. They may also have other features like a spot to mount an attatchment lift, ball bearing front wheels, lug mount wheels, larger wheels, tougher steering components, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 05-20-04 at 09:36 PM.

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 04:49 PM   #4  
ChuckG
Thank you and a new question

Thank you for the information, I have decided upon a Craftsman GT3000 23hp, 48" garden tractor as I have an uneven lot that is just over 1 acre, and I do quite a bit of snow plowing, lawn rolling and general hauling w/ my tractor.
As for my new question, the tractor described above, runs great BUT, after it's warm and I turn the unit off I get one heck of a backfire. I just replaced the air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter. What generally causes a backfire? Spark plugs fouled?

05-20-04, 08:14 PM   #5  
Many have PM me about why there engine backfires aftor they shut it down.

What is happening is that people are shutting the engine off at high idle, so whats happening is fuel is continuing to go into the cylinder. Fuel then finds its way into the muffler. And being that the muffler is the hottest part of a engine, it ignites the fuel, which creates the loud POWWW

To stop the engine from giving you a heart attack, let it idle down to low idle for 10 seconds before you shut off your engine.

MY TWO CENTS

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 08:23 PM   #6  
ChuckG
Engine Backfire

I have heard of backfire happening when you turn off the tractor with the engine on high idle, but I ALWAYS power down the unit then shut it off after 4 or 5 seconds. Should I be looking at my fuel mixture? Am I running seriously rich?

P.S. Your comments have been very helpful, thank you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-04, 09:39 PM   #7  
Many engine manufacturers have incorporated a fuel-shutoff solenoid into the fuel system. It is a cylinder shaped piece that screws into the bottom of the carb and also holds the bowl on. If this happens to be stuck in the open position, it can cause a backfire. This solenoid shuts all fuel off to the engine when you turn the key off.

God bless!

NY

05-21-04, 03:59 AM   #8  
Afterfire

What are your engine ID #'s? With these, I should be able to tell you if your engine has an anti-afterfire solenoid. If it does not have one, you may have the option to install one.

Visiting Guest

05-21-04, 09:53 AM   #9  
ChuckG
Engine Numbers

Puey,

The numbers I found were:
On the Kohler 23hp engine: 25 098 09
Tractor Model #: Craftsman 917.275023

Thanks,

Chuck

NY

05-21-04, 03:39 PM   #10  
Here's what I've come up with, with what you've provided for numbers, but I will say that the 25 098 09 number does not compute. I'm not sure where on the unit you found this, but it is not a model, serial or spec number consistent with Kohler. The Sears Website says, based on the tractor model (which you did provide), that it is a Kohler CV674-75544. My Kohler software does not show this model #, it does show a CV675-75544. But this model gives me no indication either way if this engine is equipped with an anti-afterfire solenoid. What I know from experience is that I have yet to see a Kohler-powered lawn tractor of recent that does not have one. The principle of this solenoid is to shut off the fuel supply to the carburetors' emulsion tube as soon as the key is turned to the off position. However, these can fail and do occassionaly. Note: The emulsion tube is the path that fuel takes from the bowl to the venturi, thereby eliminating afterfire, should the solenoid be operating properly. If you can find your engines' carburetor, and on the bowl end of such you will see small gauge wires going to it. This would indicate you do in fact have one. Check for this and let us know.

Visiting Guest

05-24-04, 06:02 PM   #11  
ChuckG
Backfire

Thank you for the advice. I have extended my low idle running time to around 10-15 seconds and the tractor has stopped backfiring. I believe I only have 1 more issue to resolve on this unit........... Eventhough I have replaced the oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and changed the oil, when I start the tractor cold, I get a CLOUD of smoke. The tractor is only 2 years old, and I don't think the previous owner did any maintenance on it at all. Is this typical of Kohler engines, should I be looking at a warranty repair (ring issue), or is there something simple I'm not looking for?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-04, 11:09 PM   #12  
Chuck,

That is fairly common on Kohler engines. As long as it quits smoking quickly after it starts, then you don't have to worry about it.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-25-04, 05:49 AM   #13  
ChuckG
Smoking

Thank you. I guess I'll just push it out of the garage before I start it, or back it in so the smoke doesn't leave a cloud in the garage. THANK YOU ALL for your comments.

Search this Thread