Carb

Old 05-18-04, 09:58 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Carb

Hey guys, I own a Snapper mower with a 5.5 horse power Briggs & Stratton, Last summer I had a problem with the carb, I cleaned it, rebuilt it and still wouldn't work. The origanal carb was an auto choke, but the one I replaced it with needs the prime bubble, so as a result I have to prime it through the spark plug hole to get it going after its been sitting... I'm getting tired of doing this so I was just wondering if the carb/airfilter assembly w/ prime bubble is available at hardware stores or am I going to have to take one off of a junk mower? Thanx Guys

Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 11:16 PM
Because a Primmer Bulb goes faulty on machines once in a while, they have to supply them at small engine shops. I guess you could go to one and see if they have one to replace what ever you have that needs to be replaced.

Old 05-19-04, 01:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Craig!

No, the part is not found at hardware stores. You'll need to get one off a junk mower or at a repair shop. You'll need the filter housing with the primer, but not the cover.

Old 05-19-04, 03:22 AM
Replacement carburetor?

You mentioned you replaced the original auto choke carb with a primer style, yet said it was a 5.5 hp. I've never seen a 5 1/2 horse with auto choke...Are you sure it is 5 1/2 horse. I'm thinking you have a 3 1/2 engine. Is the carb mounted directly to the gas tank? If so, you may have a easily repairable situation. Post back with your engines' identification numbers (model, type and code), and we'll be able to better help you.

Old 05-19-04, 08:23 AM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Yes It's a Snapper model 21500 5.5 horse, No the carb isnt attached to the tank its a bowl style, THis mower is concidered a comercial use mower som maybe the auto choke is a feature, Thanx guys

Craig

Old 05-19-04, 02:45 PM
Snapper, also

I have a snapper hi-vac with a B&S engine. The model is 114902, the type is 3137-01, and the code is 34090604. Can someone tell me what hp this engine is and if the choke is automatic? It will start but when I try to mow it shuts down. I believe the choke is stuck closed. I took the breather off and the choke was closed. I opened it and the engine would stay running as long as I just let it sit there. The choke was fluttering like it was trying to close. Any idea would be appreciated.Enos

Old 05-19-04, 03:16 PM
Ok, here is what you need to do. Get yourself a can of automotive Gumout spray. Spray all the outside of the carb including the linkages that go to the carb. Then aftor spraying that real good spray the choke in the inside of the carb too. Then see if that fixes the problem. It could be that all it is is stuck and buying cleaning all the linkages and choke you should be able to free it. But if aftor freeing the choke and linkages and the engine still does it, then you may have to clean all the insides of the carb too. You will know if you have to. Let us know how it goes.

PS: Also, make sure you have a new sparkplug. Take the sparkplug off of the engine, if it looks wet or really black and tared up looken, replace with a new sparkplug. Also, check your air filter. If it looks really dirty, replace with a new one.

Search this Thread