IDC Trimmer and Potential Clutch Issue

Old 05-23-04, 06:01 PM
budj28
Visiting Guest
IDC Trimmer and Potential Clutch Issue

I have recently been given an IDC 520 trimmer and it seems promising but I am having a hard time getting it just right. The problem at hand is that, on top of the hard start, the head spins initially, after being cranked, but after releasing the trigger to rest after trimming for, say, 10 minutes, it will spin no more, no matter how much gas I give it. I inspected the shaft and it appeared to be fine. My suspision is that there is a problem with the clutch. Can anyone elaborate on this, or give any other advise?

Thanks
Budj28

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 03:49 PM
The starting problem likely is carburetor related, but before you go any further, I'd pull the muffler and inspect the piston & cylinder - to know if it's even worth going ahead with any repairs. The head-no-spin issue could be clutch related or lower bearing assembly related, if you are absolutely certain the flexible drive shaft is good. The clutch is a centrifigul clutch and to get at it you will need first to remove the drum, by way of a 5/32 Allen wrench in the center of such (where the drive shaft inserts). First remove the spark plug, stuff some rewind rope in the combustion chamber (this acts as a piston stop) and remove the center screw from the drum. If it is lower bearing related, this is not serviceable and would need to be replaced as an assembly.