Help, Snapper w/b&s motor is vomiting!

Old 05-24-04, 08:45 PM
quijibo
Visiting Guest
Help, Snapper w/b&s motor is vomiting!

My '97 snapper was shooting gas out through the breather assembly and air cleaner. It was hard to start(e-start stopped working in '99) and after running for less than a minute it vomited gas out the air cleaner and quit. Anybody know what the problem is? How hard is it to fix?
I would also like to fix the e-start, the starter spins but it doesn't turn the engine over.

1997 Snapper sr1028
Briggs and Stratton 10 hp 4 stroke
model 28a707
type 0122-02
engine code 970206za

Old 05-24-04, 09:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the intake valve doesn't have enough clearance. You would have to remove the head and valve cover (pcv valve) to be able to remove the intake valve and grind off a little metal on the valve stem. This procedure would require normal hand tools plus a feeler guage, if you don't have a feeler guage they cost about $4 or $5 at an auto parts store. From start to rinich it would probably take you about one hour give or take.

Old 05-24-04, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello quijibo!

You need to remove the carburetor float bowl, take the float hinge pin out, and replace the needle. Also use a Q-tip soaked with carburetor cleaner to swab out the inlet hole where the needle goes. Your carb is leaking gas, causing the problem you have. When this happens, you'll also need to change the oil (after you fix the leak). The gas seeps past the rings and into the oil, thinning it out. Running it like this (if you can even get it to run) can ruin the engine.

Old 05-24-04, 10:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem.OK,here's what I think it is.First of all you said it was "shooting gas out through the breather assembly and air cleaner."
I beleive that you have gasoline in the crankcase.And since the breather works as the means of maintaning the vacuum in the crankcase,that it's pushing the gas out with the air to the air filter.Smell of the oil.If it smells like gas and is real thin,change it.But do this latter.
Next is the reason why.The needle valve inside the carburetor isn't closing as it should.Take the carb. off/apart and soak it in good in some good ol chem-dip for 20-30 minutes.Making sure to remove any rubber/plastic parts.Clean fuel tank too and refill with clean fresh gas.Next,is your starter problem.Take the plastic cover off of the shoud,just above the starter.Replace the plastic starter gear.Make sure the bevel side goes up.Now refill the oil.(holds about 48 oz.)Lastly take the spark plug out and turn the engine over to push any gas still in the cylinder out.Clean or replace spark plug.put in a new airfilter and your all ready.

KNOWING ME (LIKE I DO) I PROBALLY DROPED THE BALL AND LEFT SOMETHING OUT AND HOPELY YOU WILL BE GETTING OTHER REPLYS/OPTIONS
SO CHECK BACK FROM TIME TO TIME.

Old 05-25-04, 05:10 AM
quijibo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the great info. I think iI will try to fix it myself. I've had to do similar things on my dirtbikes before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: