Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler Engine Overhaul-Head gasket

05-24-04, 07:12 PM   #1  
Kohler Engine Overhaul-Head gasket

Hey guys
My brother and i are overhauling a Kohler twin 17 hp on an Allis Chalmers riding mower. We tore it all apart on saturday and started the overhauling and replacing parts on Sunday and now were ready to put it back together and we were wanting to know if its neccessary to replace the headgaskets(its been done before this winter(change of the head gaskets)blew them trying to race a dude) and we have only mowed about 13 times but there is a lot of back preassure so we decided to over haul it)
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-04, 11:03 PM   #2  
Hello Mancoowner!

The only way to do it right is to change them, and I would not try to avoid it, since a blown head gasket on a OHV engine can cause oil consumption, crankcase pressure, blowby, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-25-04, 03:26 AM   #3  
I believe this is a KT-17 (opposed twin (not overhead valve design)), since it is used on an Allis. If you've removed the heads to service the engine, by all means replace the gaskets. If not, and since you have already recently, it may not be necessary. Unless of course you want to be absolutely certain about the condition of the combustion chamber.

05-25-04, 07:03 AM   #4  
went ahead and did it

hey cheeese I believe that you understood wrong. the gaskets are in fine shape now. they were blown and i replaced them(but that was before the winter set in in south Texas). So i was at a friends house where he has a "salvage yard" of small engines and mowers so he wwent ahead and gave me the two of them. and yes it is the opposing twin. thanks for the help, runs great now.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-04, 12:49 AM   #5  
What was I thinking, lol. I should have known this wasn't a ohv command just by the hp rating. (the 17hp ohv commands are 1 cylinder, the 17hp twins are not ohv). Sorry 'bout that. Sounds like you got it going though! Good job!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread