Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2 down, 1 to go - Murray 20 solved

Visiting Guest

05-19-04, 08:01 PM   #1  
Chip Jenkins
I dont know where to begin

I have a current nightmare. For starters, I have a Craftsman Weedwacker that will not start. Last year, I got it to start but it would not stay running. Then, it would not run at all. Recently, I bought a new weighted filter because I suspected that the reason that it would not stay running was due to the thing being clogged. I put it back together and tried to start it again. No Dice. I pulled the spark plug and checked for spark and with the garage lights out, I could see a very small spark about 50% of the time. Either it was too small to see sometimes or it wasn't there. I could not tell of the spark was white or blue, but it looked kinda white. Also when I press the primer bulb, it does not want to come back out very well. It comes back but takes it's good old time.

Next, I have a cheap murray lawnmower that someone gave me. They said that it leaked gas, so I thought that I would take a look at it. After taking it half apart, cleaning, and reassembly, I committed the cardinal sin. I forgot to check the way the springs went on the carburator. I think that I have them correct because of the way that they are bent, it just looks right - I'm just not sure. Anyway, It has a primer bulb on the side of it and I can push it 3 or 4 times and start it easily but, It only runs for a short time. It runs probably the length of time that equals the amount of fuel that was used to prime it. For some reason, it appears that there is no gas coming from the tank to the engine.

And, as it that were not enough, I have a Huskee riding lawnmower that my father-in-law gave me. It works but, when I was replacing a steering gear, I noticed that one of the linkage 'bars' for the mower was just sitting on top of the pan, not connected to anything. I asked him if he knew what it was for and he did not. He sait that it always worked fine without it connected. This just did not sit well with me, I figured that it was there for a reason. I determined that the unknown linkage was for the blade brake when you shut the blades off. I just mowed the lawn tonite, and I noticed that the blades did not stop spinning completely when the mower was disengaged. I looked to see where it was supposed to be connected by I could not tell. The loose end should connect to the tractor somewhere - one end it connected to the pan near the engagement pulley.

If I can get any one of these things working, I would be ecstatic (almost).

Thanks,

Chip

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-04, 10:02 PM   #2  
Hello Chip!

You'll need to make sure you have good spark on the trimmer first. Make sure the plug is touching metal on the engine when checking for spark, or it won't spark. Second, if the primer takes a long time to come back to the original position, then you will need to clean the carburetor.

I don't know what engine you have on the murray, but it sounds like you need to replace the carburetor diaphragm if it is a briggs classic, or clean the carb and bowl screw passages if it is a bowl type carb.

I can't tell you much about the Huskee until I get more info, like what size deck does it have? What model is it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 03:44 AM   #3  
Chip Jenkins
tractor model number

The Huskee says 12/39 on the side of it. The actual model number from the tag is B3912230. I really need to see a diagram to see where this thing goes. I was unable to locate one on the internet.

Thanks,

Chip

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 03:22 PM   #4  
Chip Jenkins
One Down

Thanks Cheese. I got home from work and today and removed the carburator for the weed wacker and cleaned it. I took it apart, and put the air nozzle on the compressor and blew out all of the passages and lines. Put it back together and the bulb returned fine and it started right up. I wacked all of the weeds around the yard. Thats one done. Whew!

Tomorrow, I'll clean the carb on the murray. Is there someway that I can tell which spring goes where on the governor or the throttle cables?

Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-04, 09:43 PM   #5  
I don't know without the engine make and size. Model# would also help.

As far as the Huskee, it is made by MTD. Check on MTDs website for diagrams for your model#. I don't think I have ever seen a 39" model.

God bless!

NY

05-21-04, 03:55 AM   #6  
Huskee

The Huskee is a Murray product (based on your model # you provided). Unfortunately, this model is not supported on any computer look-up, only microfiche. And since I can't print off the fiche, I can't provide a picture of such to compare with yours. You may want to find a local Murray dealer in your area, bring along your model #, and look for yourself on their fiche reader.
While you are at the local shop, ask the counterperson if you could look at a mower with a similar engine as your push mower so that you can make a note of how the linkage and governor spring hooks up. Also bring your engine numbers with you so that the shop knows which engine you have.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-21-04, 11:00 PM   #7  
Ahhh! Thanks Puey! I wasn't aware that murray made any of the huskee products. ( Am I thinking of the right mower...the name used by tractor supply company for their machines?).

God bless!

NY

05-22-04, 09:27 AM   #8  
A Huskee by many other names

Ah! Yes, MTD has also produced units under the Huskee name.

Visiting Guest

05-23-04, 02:39 PM   #9  
Chip Jenkins
Murray Update

I found what could be part of the trouble with the push mower. The primer bulb has a hole it it. I discovered it when I was cleaning the carb, Either that or I put it there! I'm goint to take just that part of the carb to the mower shop and get another bulb. I really cannot see any other reason why it will not work. On the push mower subject, How should the arm on the governor react? I don't really even know what the thing does or how it works. With everything disassembled, the arm outside the case moves freely, there does not seem to be any resistance. Is this normal?

Back to the Huskee. I believe that the blade brake for it is missing. This would explain why I cannot locate anywhere to put the other end of the linkage. (the adjustable end of the rod is the one that is not connected to anything.) There is more fun with this that just occured today. The starter went out. My wife mowed the back yard for the first time in recent memory and halfway through, she stopped to move a branch and it would not restart. That figures. I think I need to send this to the junk pile. Maybe I'll fix it again. Who knows?

Chip

Visiting Guest

05-23-04, 07:12 PM   #10  
Chip Jenkins
Huskee

The blade brake is there. I looked under the thing again and there is a black plastic or rubber pad that is supposed to press against the pulley when the blades are disengaged. If I have time on the way home from work, I'm going to stop by the local TSC/Huskee dealer and take a look at a similar model as you suggested just to see were the doggone thing is supposed to connect. For all I know, the linkage arm is not in the correct place on the end that is connected. They should put a decal on those things for belt and linkage placement in much the same way the the auto makers show the serpentine belt routing. (I just replaced the serpentine belt on the Aerostar van that I'm going to unload). Obviously, If I had the manual I wouldn't be talking about this anyway.

Chip

Visiting Guest

05-25-04, 06:19 PM   #11  
Chip Jenkins
2 down, 1 to go - Murray 20 solved

This thing would not stay running. I replaced the primer bulb and removed the float housing. The bolt that holds the float cover on has 2 holes in it. One on the end and one on the side. The main hole through it had some crud in it and the small hole was plugged. Cleaned both of those and it started right up and runs just fine.

Now all I have left is to figure out the Huskee.

Chip

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-04, 12:54 AM   #12  
I merged this last reply of yours into the original thread so we can follow the events in one place. Glad you got it fixed!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-04-04, 07:25 PM   #13  
Chip Jenkins
Huskee and Murray

First, the Huskee. I went to a mower repair shop and looked at a microfishe of the mower. There is another blade brake that was removed (or it fell off). The mystery linkage connects to it. I bought one and put it on then I found another problem that prevented the blades from totally disengaging. Everything is connected, more or less, by a plastic coated cable. The cable runs through a few pulleys. I found that the plastic coating was starting to wear out and a section of it came off of the cable, and it was binding up in the pulley which kept the blades spinning. The second brake (which consists of a bent pieve of spring steel and a pad, $20 kaching!) didn't hurt either.

Now the Murray. I'm having a little trouble adjusting the carb. It does not run properly. It does not get up to top speed and bogs down when mowing, like the governor is not doing anything. That one is still not quite right.

Chip

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-04, 10:39 PM   #14  
Glad yo got the Huskee done! What engine is on the murray?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-08-04, 06:14 PM   #15  
Chip Jenkins
Murray 20

I have not looked carefully, but it's a briggs & Stratton. The kind with the primer bulb on the side. (A new primer bulb btw) Let me know if there is anything else that you need to know about it.

Thanks,

Chip

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-08-04, 11:28 PM   #16  
Horsepower, or engine model #, or telling us if it has the metal tank on the side of the engine or a plastic tank on top would give somewhat of a better idea. It's hard to diagnose an anonymous engine with any detail.

God bless!

10-01-08, 01:36 PM   #17  
i have the same huskee 12/39 riding mower

i could take a pictre of the carburator and email it to you..also guys...im brand new on here...not sure how to work around on here but i want to know how to remove the back wheel...fred from canada

TX

10-01-08, 02:25 PM   #18  
Hello Fred and welcome to the diy site.

Your input is very welcome. This thread is pretty old. If you look at the upper left hand corner of each post you can see the date and time it was made.

Since this thread is over 4 years old, I am sure the problem was either resolved or abandoned.

Thanks for your input

Search this Thread