1998 Yardman hydro trans problem

Old 05-25-04, 08:27 PM
masaillini
Visiting Guest
1998 Yardman hydro trans problem

I have a 1998 yardman 16hp / 42". It pulls good when cold , But when it warms up it moves very little will not pull anything near an incline of any sorts.
It also will barely and sometimes not at all in reverse after warmed up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-04, 08:37 PM
The fluid could be low or you could have a plugged filter. It's just a guess but would be the first things to check.

Old 05-26-04, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello masaillini!

Sounds like you have a hydrostatic transmission. Is it? If so, you could have low fluid or internal problems, or possibly a belt problem. Let us know if it is hydro or not.

Old 05-26-04, 03:56 AM
masaillini
Visiting Guest
yes it is a hydrostat trans it is also a seale unit except for where the breather assembly comes off the top of the trans. I have checked the belt . IT is slightly glazed.

Old 05-27-04, 01:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try getting it to do this, and watch the tranny pulley and fan. Are they turning fast when it is acting up? If so, you need fluid or have an internal problem. If not, you have a belt or belt tension problem. Have you had this mower tilted or tipped over? If so, fluid can leak out the vent. I think on your unit, you'll find a plug on top of the tranny under the fan where fluid can be added. Use 20W50 synthetic oil to fill if needed. Synthetic only.

Old 05-27-04, 04:15 AM
masaillini
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info.
I will check all of the things you have suggested and hopefully one of these solutions will solve my problem. And thanks again for taking the time to offer the advice. I will check these things asap and let u know what i find.

THANKS.