Dana transaxle

Old 05-25-04, 08:33 PM
Question Dana transaxle

Could someone help me out with this problem? I have a Craftsman model - 502.251220 with a Dana 4450-1 transaxle. My question is, how do you adjust the brakes. The brake rod comes back to the top (left) of the transaxle...there it has a threaded connector on it. I can adjust it both ways approximately 10 turns with no change in the brakes. The brakes are very "soft" in the way that they just barely stop the machine. What I was really concerned about was, the owners have a steep yard. Does anyone know of a web site where I might some information about it. I would like to know just what I'm adjusting.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-04, 10:34 PM
Question

Hello Jack

I've never worked on a Dana trans.before I don't think,If I have I didn't notice the name.All I can remember has been peerless.But if their like most your disc pads is probally wore out. goto this website maybe you'll find it here

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/D...te_Search.html

Old 05-26-04, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jack B!

Look where the rod with the adjuster connects at the transaxle. It goes through a lever. That lever is connected to the tranny on a bracket. The bracket has 2 bolts, one on either end, and a nut in the middle where the lever pivots. Tighten this nut a couple of turns to tighten the brakes a bit.

Old 05-26-04, 05:31 AM
On this same line

The same area cheese has you at, is where your brake pads will be housed. It sounds to me as though these should be replaced - lots of hills and all. As far as parts go, let your fingers do the walking and call around your area and ask if any OPE dealers stock parts for Dana tranny's.

Old 05-26-04, 10:46 AM
Thumbs up Dana transaxle

After a bunch of searching, I finally found an exploded view and a parts list. After studying these for a while, I think I've got it figured out. The brake disc is on the drive shaft (the shaft with the shift keys). Then toward the back of the transaxle are the brake pads (all internal). Then there are a couple of vertical parallel wedges setting next to the brake pads. There is an adjustment bolt sticking out of the bottom of the transaxle at the back. There is a capture nut on the threaded shaft. Just a small adjustment made all the difference in the world.

Old 05-27-04, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An adjustment on the bottom of the tranny?? Is the diagram you found online? If so, can you give me a link to it? I'd like to see what this thing looks like. All the spicer (dana) transaxles I remember have an adjustment like I described. Most Peerless trannies do too.

Old 05-27-04, 03:27 AM
Cheese,
The diagram was part of the owners manual, it's an exploded view and a parts list. They could'nt find the regular owners manual only these drawings. I have a new printer/scanner/fax machine and "whenever" I learn to use it, I will be sure and send you a copy.

Old 06-12-07, 08:22 AM
I need a diagram, can you give a a link?????

Old 07-15-07, 10:08 PM
Post I have a brake adjustment diagram for a Sears/Craftsman

Originally Posted by bigdaddieray View Post
I need a diagram, can you give a a link?????
I will send to your email address.

Old 07-16-07, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you go to the sears site http://www3.sears.com/ and use 4450-1 as the model#, you can access a IPL.

Old 09-03-10, 01:57 PM
Talking A Dana Transaxle Picture

this shows the inside of a dana transaxle model 4450-1
this model is used on my murray 10hp/30
i had to rebuild mine and this helped when i had to put back together hope some else can also use it
http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/foote/4450-1.pdf
No Probs
Jeffery