Issues getting 4-cycle Ryobi string trimmer to run correctly

Old 06-09-11, 06:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Issues getting 4-cycle Ryobi string trimmer to run correctly

I've got an older (maybe 6-7 years old) Ryobi 825R 4-cycle trimmer that I'm having problems getting to run correctly.

I replaced a cracked primer bulb, along with new fuel lines and fuel filter. Also a new air filter. Also cleaned the carb as much as I could (I did take it off and sprayed everywhere I could get at - it's not very big).

Put in fresh fuel and I can get it to run now, but when trying to open up the throttle a lot, she wants to die out. It appears to idle just fine however.

I'm thinking the only 2 things I haven't done are replace the spark plug and/or completely replace the carb.

Any thoughts ? Unfortunately I'm not much of an engine guy (more of an IT geek LOL).

Old 06-10-11, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Did you actually open up the carb and clean it out? If not, cleaning it didn't do anything but wash the outside dirt off. Take it apart and clean out the insides, including the little round screen you'll see in there and see if that helps.

Old 06-10-11, 06:15 AM
S
Originally Posted by cheese
Did you actually open up the carb and clean it out? If not, cleaning it didn't do anything but wash the outside dirt off. Take it apart and clean out the insides, including the little round screen you'll see in there and see if that helps.
I took the primer bulb part of the carb (4 screws) and also completely removed the carb from the engine and also removed the throttle. I didn't see anything else I can really take apart more. I'll try again tonight and make sure I really clean it well again.

Does my symptom just sound like a dirty carb ?

Old 06-10-11, 06:15 PM
It does sound like a dirty carb,, Take it apart & blow compressed air thru all the passages & rebuild it with a complete kit,, Adjust the meatering lever & put the gaskets in the right place & You'll be good to go... Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: