Lawn mower (tractor)

Old 05-31-04, 07:55 AM
Lawn mower (tractor)

I have a MTD 14.5 hp lawn tractor with a briggs and straton engine, about 5 years old. The other day when I was cutting the lawn The tractor mad a funny sound and stopped running. i was unable to restart it. The last time it acted like this I had a problem with the valves. I need to know how to set the valves. What the clearance, how to get the motor at top dead center ect...Also what can I do to prevent the motor from back firing? The engine is overhead valve.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Thomas!

What kind of funny noise did it make? Is it full of oil? Does it spin really fast now when you try to start it? Does it have compression? If you have determined it has compression, remove the valve cover and see if anything has come off. Often, on these engines, the rocker stud comes loose and the rocker arm slips off the valve, the pushrod bends, etc...

Old 05-31-04, 11:44 AM
Question

Hi Thomas,we need to know the model and type #'s off of the engine in order to look up the right spec's.

Old 06-01-04, 09:09 AM
lawn tractor

Here are the numbers you requested....

Model 287707....Type 0224-01....14.5 ohv briggs and stratton....The oil level is fine.....the motor will not crank at all...I had problem with the rocker arm and rods before...I'm hoping that it came loose again and all i have to do is reinstall and adjust...I'm going to take it apart this afternoon...Thanks

Old 06-01-04, 03:45 PM
Terminology clarification

You said the "motor will not crank at all." Is this true or do you mean the "engine will crank but not start up"? Based on the numbers you provided, you will be able to turn over the engine by hand if necessary. What I'm (as well as cheese is) getting at is if the engine is seized. A funny noise followed by shut-down usually is not good. Are you able to manually turn the engine over by hand by way of the flywheel screen (the black mesh piece on top of the engine)? Spark plug removal prior to trying this will help.

Old 06-03-04, 04:57 PM
Hello Thomas

What's the status of your troubles?

Old 06-05-04, 05:17 PM
Unhappy lawn tractor

I finally got a chance to work on the tractor. I took of the valve cover ( on the front of the motor and everything looked good). The oil level was low . I added oil and tried to cranck the engine and it made one revolution and that was it. I then tried to turn the motor by hand and it would not budge. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-04, 10:30 PM
Check to see if the starter motor is still engaged. The starter motor pinion gear could hung up in the motor ring gear for a couple of reasons. When you can confirm that the tractor is out of gear and the starter motor pinion has not hung up in the ring gear remove the spark plug. Try to turn the engine over by hand with the plug removed. Is it easy to turn now and do you hear any strange noises?

Old 06-05-04, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like baaad news Thomas. Remove the starter and look for a spot that is punched out on the side of the engine behind the starter. If you see one, the engine threw a rod. If not, it may still have thrown a rod, but maybe it's buildable. Other things that can cause this would be a loose charging magnet on the inside of the flywheel or a foreign object in the cylinder.