Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Using/Selecting a Power Washer

Visiting Guest

06-01-04, 05:57 AM   #1  
eapples
Using/Selecting a Power Washer

I am in the market for a power washer. I intend on using it primarily to wash the vinyl siding, lawn furniture, driveway, front porch, etc. Since my house is over two stories (in certain parts) I want to be able to reach up to the roof peak to wash the siding all the way to the top. HOWEVER, I don't want to buy a unit that is "overkill", e.g., using a bazooka to kill a mosquito. Do I get an electric or a gas model? How about the "thou shalt nots" that accompany using a power washer? Is it necessary to wash the siding all the way to the top? I checked the websites and other available sources, and it seems that the only "thou shalt nots" are 1) don't use the washer while standing on a ladder, and 2) don't get too close to the surface you are trying to clean.

HELP! Any other practical advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Eapples <;-)

Sponsored Links

VA

06-01-04, 02:47 PM   #2  
A medium size pw, 5 to 8 horse, and 2500 psi will be plenty for what you want for everything EXCEPT the house. I've got a 13 horse Honda 3500 psi
unit and doing two stories - NOT.
With a pw, you can only do a house with scaffolding.
I use a large bucket of soap/Jomax/bleach and a long extension handle with medium brush. Then I rinse it off with a garden hose.
So a 1600 psi electric may be all you need. They do a fair job.

fred

Search this Thread