Fun projects with lawn mower engines?

Old 06-03-04, 06:27 AM
rsanford
Visiting Guest
Fun projects with lawn mower engines?

Just got moved into our first house, so a couple weeks before I went looking for a used push mower at garage sales. I bought one barely used (off brand 22" B&S 4.0 w/mulcher) for $40, and grabbed a free Craftsman 5.0 self propelled as well. The free Crafsman had a broken safety ignition cable, and the carb float had a hole, which were easy enough items to fix. To our suprise, the previous owners of the house also left us a push mower that looks like it's out of the '70s. On top of that, my father has 2 half working mowers which I'm contemplating releaving him of and fixing.

So... What's a man to do with all these mowers? Sell them for profit? Any fun projects you can think of? I was contemplating setting one up for an air compressor. Bonus points for projects which would necessitate buying a welder. =)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-04, 06:28 PM
easyrb
Visiting Guest
there's always tthe old stand by go cart or some other kind of vehicle.

Old 06-03-04, 11:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello rsanford!

I always like to do the vehicle thing. A small engine like those you have will run the transmission out of a riding mower. You can build all kinds of carts, buggies, maybe something like a ride-on hauling wagon. An air compressor would be tough unless you had a horizontal shaft engine. You could build your wife a little motorized cart she could drive around with gardening tools and plants/dirt. That way, you could go for the welder and have her on your side all at the same time!

Old 06-09-04, 06:50 AM
You can buy a generator head from Northern tool and make your own elec. generator. Same thing for a water pump. One of my neighbors when I was a boy made a 4 HP trike chopper using a tricycle frame and misc parts. He was 15 at the time and we 12 year olds thought he had the coolest ride in the neighborhood.