Help with riding mower tranny

Old 05-11-04, 03:22 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
Help with riding mower tranny

I have a Murray I bought in 98(17hp Tecumseh,42 inch deck) and it has a manual six speed tranny..I started it yesterday after its long winters nap and it won't go into any gear..I can shift into all gears fine but theres absolutly no hint of the thing moving(its like its in neutral)..I can even shift into all gears without depressing the clutch with the engine on(I don't remeber being able to do this before but I could be mistaken)..The belts all look OK and didn't come off..When I shift the gears I can see the shift fork going into the transmission is moving so that didn't fall off..what do you guys think is wrong??

Bug

Old 05-11-04, 04:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would of thought that the belt slipped off but you said it did not. You said that the linkage seems to work fine between the clutch and transmition. But what about the parking brake? There is a slight chance that you might have the parking brake on not allowing you to go. If everything I said here is fine and you find no problems with belts, linkages, or parking brake, then we have to look in the possiblility that the transmition is shot. Please answer me this, have you over time noticed it getting harder and harder to shift gears? I have a transmition that does this. Hard to shift, and now I can see I have to do work on it. Its always a possiblity that this could be a problem on your end. Post back with more information so we can help you better. Please post your mowers model numbers for us. Thanks...

Old 05-11-04, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tranny trouble!

Are you absolutely certain the wheel drive belt (upper most belt on the engine) is intact and running in each pulley (engine and transmission) as well as the idler pulley? If so, when you let out the clutch (with engine running) do you notice any unusal noise or, especially, an odd smell (belt burning)? Has anyone recently removed either of the rear wheels - to say, fix a flat, maybe? If so, the axle key could have dropped out and as such, you will have no wheel drive.

Old 05-11-04, 06:36 PM
bugalou
Is there any possibility that since everything is visibly working, that maybe the pulley that drives the transmission might have a sheared key? If that is the case then the pulley can spin and the shifter can shift but nothing internally is turning.

snoman

Old 05-11-04, 06:47 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
I'll go out in the morning and get the model #. I'll also double check all the belts again..The parking brake is off...As a mater of fact I just changed a flat tire but I put the key back on, even if I didn't, I still would see the axle turning I would think which it doesn't...I think I'm having a brain fart on this problem because I should be able to figure it out..Let me go through this thing logically here..I can start the engine and I can engage the mower blades(that works)..Now are any belts supposed to be moving back by the tranny area in order to spin the manual tranny because I know on my manual car the tranny gears spin whenever the engine is running unless I depress the clutch so I'm assuming that the same thing is happening in my tractor tranny but it seems not to be spinning because I can put it in gear without using the clutch..I should be hearing horrible grinding noises so I don't think its spinning at all..Have to check the belt again.. forgot to add, the tranny worked nice the last time I used it and all 6 gears plus reverse where fine

Bug

Old 05-11-04, 08:14 PM
You prob.have got a peerless 800 trans.under that Murray.A rideing lawnmower trans.very seldom goes bad.Don't know how they was able to swing it or anything about it but Murray has got what they call "shift on the go"
The gears inside a lawnmower trans only turns when the belt turns the trans.pulley.Unless you have it in some gear and you turn both rear wheels in the same direction.(with keys in both.) Not like a car.

Are you sure about the belt??? It's way up under there,you have to just about stand on your head to see where it goes around the stack pulley (the one under engine) and that's with the deck off.I've also been putting wheels on and the key silde out the back.And I didn't know it till it wouldn't move when I put it in gear.

And the bolt that holds the shifter rod to the trans.might be lose,I've seen that too.

Last edited by repair_guy; 05-11-04 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 01:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Bugalou!

I believe your belt is off. It is not like a car, and the tranny doesn't turn when the engine is turning necessarily. It has a pulley, and is driven by a belt. Check it out and let us know what you find.

Old 05-12-04, 05:42 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
I'M SCREWED I TELL YOU....SCREWEEEEDDDD ..... SLAP...thanks I needed that...Well I went out and checked my mower out again today and it doesn't look good..by the way its model#42504X71A...I jacked the entire rear up and removed the right tire(the one with the key on the shaft)..Put the tire on the seat to bypass the seat safety cuttoff...I checked the belt going around the big flywheel on top of the tranny, its on there and its on every pulley correctly going to the engine..with the clutch out the belt is nice and tight, when I press the clutch in it lossens up a bit so I assume this is OK...I start the engine and put it in first, the belt is turning the flywheel on top the tranny like a banshee out of hell(so this looks ok)..I look down at the axle and it is turning but when I grab it, it stops like theres hardly and torque on the thing..I switch tranny to 2nd,then 3rd, etc..... and the speed on the axle increases like it should but I can put one finger on it to stop it turning..I think the gearing is OK but something that transfers the power to the gears inside the tranny is busted..what can it be??

Bug

Old 05-12-04, 05:50 PM
From your post its sounds like your transmition is gone, I think your going to need to buy a new one. But Lets see what the others have to say first before you go out and buy one.

Old 05-12-04, 06:35 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
Forgot to add that I bought another lawnmower today at Walmart after finding out that I'm probably screwed on this bad boy..Its a MTD(something like that) with a 20hp Tecumseh(I love these engines) and a 42 inch deck for $980..6 or 8 speed tranny..Had to disable the cut off switch that cut the mower off when I put it in reverse with the blades engaged(real stupid feature)..I like it even if its cheap looking.. I want to repair my old one to use as a back-up and also I've got my grass bagger on it so I can use it to pick up the fall leaves and grass clippings..So If I can repair this baby for under a couple hundred bucks, I'd like too..I'm not afraid to open up the transmission and replace what has to be replaced..what do you think has to be replaced and how much for the parts??

Bug

Old 05-12-04, 06:49 PM
Your transmission is not positive traction,like some cars.When ever one wheel slips,the other wheel doesn't chatch hold and pull off.It's stuck too.And when you have rear end up in air and you turn one axle clock wise,the other one is going to turn the other direction.Put wheel back on. Check other wheel for key.And with engine running and it in gear,hold both wheels (with rag/glove.)What does it do??If both wheels turns in the same direction let down off block and try again.If tractor doesn,t move now,trouble 'is' inside transmission.

LOTS OF LUCK.

Old 05-12-04, 07:43 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
When the axle was spinning, the tire on the other side was spinning the other way..I then grasped the axle and the other tire and they both stopped spinning (only had to apply finger pressure to stop both them spinning in all gears)..I had someone hold the axle on one side , I then went over to the tire side and stopped it from spinning and I could see that the axle wasn't turning inside the tire so I don't think this a key missing issue...what are your thoughts?

Bug

Old 05-12-04, 09:53 PM
Your right,its not.Probably gona be in the spider gear (inside) on one of the two axles I'll bet the pins that holds the gears to the axle has broken.

Good luck these can be "BEARS"!!!!!! on each gear there's a dot that has to line up or casing wont fit back together.And all of the brass bushings has to go in just right too.(for same reason)

I recommend that you take it to someone than knows lawnmower transmissions.

Old 05-13-04, 08:26 AM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help in getting me this far...So I have a axle or tranny problem, I'm determined to fix this thang myself..When I have the time, I'm going to tear into this baby and I'll let you know what I find....Great bunch of experts in here, glad I found ya'll..

Bug

T

Old 06-04-04, 01:20 PM
moondog
Visiting Guest
I would look at the shifter keys, they may be seized in the down position

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: