Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas seeping into oil sump

Visiting Guest

06-04-04, 08:34 AM   #1  
chuckdua
Gas seeping into oil sump

My Ariens 1028 10 HP Rear Rider is leaking gas into the oil.

To my knowledge this only began to happen when I tried to replace the blade.

From what I could get out of the manual you could lift the mower onto its rear [there's a tubular bar on the rear of the mower for this purpose] to replace the blade. After doing this gas started leaking into the oil. I took the carburetor apart and determined that the float was working properly and moving freely. I blew through the car with the float up and no air passed through. With the float down air passed freely.

I'v changed the oil at least twice since this happened and it continues to leak gas into the oil.

HELP!

Chuck

Sponsored Links

06-04-04, 04:23 PM   #2  
I could understand how you could get some gas into the oil when the machine is standing on end. Are you saying that when the machine is sitting level that your oil level is going UP and the gas tank level is going DOWN ? That would be what you would see if, indeed, you are getting gas into the oil.

There should be a tube that runs between the carb and the crankcase. If you can find that tube you might see if you are getting any gas going down that line. Usually you should only have a little air and maybe some fumes going FROM the crankcase TO the carb on that line. If you see any gas in that line then you have carb problems.

You might describe just how fast the crankcase is filling with gas as well. About the only other way to get gas into the crankcase is via the piston past the piston rings. You might get that if you were running real rich, but then the engine would be doing a lot of smoking. Does the engine start right away? I could also see how you could get some gas into the crankcase via the cylinder if you had the engine choked or primed a lot and the engine wasn't starting right away.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-04, 10:44 PM   #3  
Hello Chuck!

What engine does it have? Does it have a fuel pump?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread