mower will not start

Old 06-06-04, 04:11 PM
nawc514
Visiting Guest
Unhappy mower will not start

I have a simplicy 3100 series riding mower.

it has a 10 hp briggs and stratton engine (model 255707, type 0109-01, code 89051711).

the mower sat idle for about 2 years before i tried running it again. it ran for a short while but then stopped. i replaced the gas, oil, air filter, spark plug, and cleaned the carb. but when i try to start it, it turns over but does not start.

it does not seem to be getting an spark to the spark plug. I pulled the plug wire to see if there was a spark between the plug and the wire and did not see any. i checked all of the wiring and everything seems connected fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i have run out of ideas.

Old 06-06-04, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
take the blower housing(top cover) of and clean rust & debres from flywheel magnet and the coil,and check for spark again.If still no spark un-plug the ground wire from the coil,if still no spark,take the coil off and have a small engine shop test it.You might need a new one after 2 yr.of nothing,then all of a sudden,current again.

Old 06-06-04, 08:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make a simple test before you remove the coil to have it tested. Take out the spark plug and put a very small amount of gasoline down the spark plug hole, put the spark plug back in and try to start the engine. See if it will run for a few seconds. You may have an ignition problem, but sometimes trying to see a spark is difficult, especially in sunlight. If you don't even get a pop out of the engine then it may be time to look at the ignition system. Make sure that all the safety switches closed. Some mowers won't start otherwise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: