Craftsman chain-saw problem

Old 06-07-04, 11:12 AM
settle10
Visiting Guest
Craftsman chain-saw problem

This chain-saw has been well maintaned and reliable intil now. After starting with no problems and being used for approximately 5 minutes the problem starts. It starts to idle up at a higher rpm and when you put it under load or trying to pull the throttle hard it wants to die. If I turn it off and let it cool down it will cylce through the same problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 01:32 PM
chain saw

I'm not the one to really know alot about 2-cycle engines but i know i have had this problem before. For me it was the carb was dirty and all it took was a little carb cleaner in every hole and every fuel line and then an air compressor to blow out every hole and put it back together and that was that. It ran fine for me after that. But once again I'm not the person for 2-cycles so wait to also hear from one of the older and more experienced guys. Heck, I'm only 14 but theres nobody else around to fix things so i have to learn how to do this myself. Oh Well!

Old 06-07-04, 03:23 PM
Settle10,
If you are having an eratic (high) idle problem, this usually indicates an air leakage in the crankcase. This is due to the fact that the engine is now running leaner than it should. Whether it be at the intake manifold area (most common) or a crank seal(s) will need to be determined. Ideally, you would like to do a crankcase vacuum test to figure out if this is in fact the case and where the trouble lies, if so. Post back with your model # and I may be able to help you better determine the trouble spot. The only hitch being that it is only appearing when the engine is up to operating temperature - this shouldn't be the case if it is in fact a vacuum problem, it would show at all times.
mancoowner,
For fourteen, you know your stuff and are well versed. I'd be very proud if you were my son. Keep up the good work and advice!!!

Old 06-08-04, 07:49 AM
settle10
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the info and I will get the model number to help with the diagnosis.

Old 06-12-04, 12:38 PM
settle10
Visiting Guest
Ran the chainsaw with the same problem. Cut very well for about 5-10 minutes and then started to idle steady way up and when the when you would pull the throttle it dies. Will start right back up and then does the same thing. The model is a Craftsman 2.2 cubic inche with 16in chain, model 358.352160

Old 06-13-04, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is leaning out due to either a fuel delivery problem or a crankcase air leak. Start by checking the fuel lines thoroughly. One may be cracked or have a pinhole. Does choking it help keep it running?

Old 06-13-04, 09:13 PM
settle10
Visiting Guest
I replaced the fuel lines last year, I'll check there and also try and see if choking it will change anything. How would I check for crank case leakage.

Old 06-14-04, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There's not really any proper way for a homeowner to do a crankcase vacuum test. If you have regulated air pressure and a rubber tipped blower nozzle, warm up the engine, then pull the plug out. Set the regulator on the compressor to 20psi. Compress the cylinder through the plug hole with the rubber tipped blower. Spray soapy water around the crankcase cover, cylinder gasket, and carburetor intake area. You will hear air escaping through the engine, but any place you see air bubbles on these places would indicate a leak. Problem is, this is positive pressure, from the inside of the engine out. The leak you would have would be from the outside in...negative pressure. This test may or may not show a vacuum (negative pressure) leak.

Old 06-15-04, 06:26 AM
settle10
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I have a vac pump that and I might be able to make this work with negative pressure.