Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hydro gear rebuild

Visiting Guest

06-07-04, 09:27 PM   #1  
masaillini
hydro gear rebuild

I have a 1998 yardman 16 hp lawn tractor with a hydro gear trans in it . I have tried all the possible solutions to my problem. the problem was losing power after a short warm up period.I have resorted to either replacing or rebuilding this trans. My question is can this so called (sealed) unit be rebuilt or replaced at a resonible cost.The tractor overall is in very good shape other than the trans.Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-07-04, 11:23 PM   #2  
Hello masaillini!

You can take it apart and see how it looks, but...be sure you have it clean when you disassemble it, and be sure your work area is clean and you don't get any debris in the transmission. These trannies are super sensitive to dirt contamination. I don't know if it's worth the trouble though versus buying a new one. I can get these trannies new for about $200.00, which makes it uneconomical to try to repair them for me.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-08-04, 04:10 AM   #3  
masaillini
Thanks for the info cheese. I think ill just buy a new one. for those kind of prices i dont think it would be worth the headache to try to rebuild.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-08-04, 11:52 PM   #4  
Anytime! Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread