Lawnmower leaves tufts of uncut grass!

Old 06-08-04, 02:37 PM
Lawnmower leaves tufts of uncut grass!

My craftsman mulching push mower is 7 years old but in very good condition. The last 2 seasons it has started leaving several spots of uncut grass even though I take special care to make sure the blade passes evenly over everything. I tried replacing the blade last year but the problem persists. Do I need a better quality blade or should I just have my existing one sharpened? I'm assuming it is a problem with the blade because the engine runs very smoothly with no loss of power...is there anything else that could cause the mower to miss spots (other than operator error which I have ruled out!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-04, 04:15 PM
Leave it to beaver

You mentioned you replaced the blade, but not when last year. At the start of last season? If so, then it's overdue for a sharpening. With my own mowers, I sharpen them once at the start of the year and once in or about July. Depending on the type of ground "soil" you have determines how often you should sharpen the blade. If you have sandy soil conditions then at least twice in a season it should be sharpened. Also beware that you mustn't mow when the grass is so tall that the frame of the machine pushes the grass over and then can't rebound soon enough for the blade to cut it effectively.

Old 06-08-04, 11:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another thing...Are you certain you have a mulching blade? There is a huge difference and it sounds like you have a regular blade on it.

Old 06-09-04, 06:44 AM
I definitely have a mulching blade which I believe was new near the beginning of last season. I live in Florida so the soil is VERY sandy. I don't really have the tools for sharpening the blade so I guess I should have it done by a professional, or is it something I can do if I buy a grinding attachment for my power drill? Thanks!

Old 06-10-04, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would take a long time trying to sharpen it with a drill. An angle grinder, bench grinder or something similar would be much more up to speed for the task. Most shops don't charge much to resharpen a blade. Usually $5 to $7 if you only take them the blade, not the whole mower.

Old 06-11-04, 03:06 PM
Otoe
Visiting Guest
Smile Comments and Questions

Just a few comments and or questions for further problem solving:

I've read the best tool to sharpen mower blades is a belt sander for mulch
lawn mower blades. Turn the sander over and turn it on and angle the
blade over the sanding surface. You'll likely need a fixture for the belt
sander to do this. This is best to get the right sharpening angle throughout
the length of a blade. I have to admit that I use a grinder for mine. Make sure your blades are balanced as well. An out of balance blade can cause bearing wear that causes other problems down the line.

I'm curious about the lawn patches not being cut. Are these patches several feet apart or a continuous strip of grass not cut? Never cut more than 1/3 the length of the grass. Does the uncut appear to be from the right side
of the mower or left? It could be just a loose belt (riding mower) that allows the blade to slowdown with tall grass due to slippage. The more I think about this, the more likely a loose belt may be the problem. I've not personnally seen a dull blade leave uncut "patches" without the motor slowing down. One usually has a ragged cut lawn susceptible to lawn diseases and fungus.

Just my thoughts and added questions,

Otoe

Old 06-12-04, 06:08 AM
I haven't looked that closely to see if there is a pattern in the missed patches of grass. Most commonly there seem to be lots of random blades here and there rather than whole strips of missed spots. Perhaps I'll just take it to a mower shop to have the blade sharpened and ask them to check the belts as well. Thanks!