Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

4.5Q B&S Running Rough

Visiting Guest

06-09-04, 11:36 AM   #1  
broken_mower
4.5Q B&S Running Rough

Hello,
I have a 4.5Q Briggs & Stratton mower that started running rough yesterday. It's almost sounds like it's running out of gas. Here is what I have done so far to try and fix it. I changed the spark plug {heavy carbon deposits}, removed cleaned and re oiled the air filter, removed cleaned and dried the gas tank and refilled with fresh higher octane gas {89}, cleaned the carb with gumout and visually inspected fuel pick up tube and screen, checked but did not change the oil, cleaned debris from the cooling fins and looked for obstructions or binding in all the linkages. I had the same running condition after doing these things. It ran perfect for about 5 seconds and then was out of gas, so I am assuming that the carb is somehow getting too much fuel. The engine has just under one season on it and has not been abused whatsoever. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Model# 10G902
Type 0189B1
Code 03011054

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-04, 01:15 AM   #2  
Hello Broken mower!

Did you replace the carb diaphragm when you removed it? If not, you'll need to do so. This will probably solve the problem, but most anytime the carb is removed, it is best to install a new diaphragm.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-10-04, 03:20 AM   #3  
The diaphragm cheese is referring to is Briggs part number 495770. Check with a local dealer for this item.

Visiting Guest

06-10-04, 05:51 AM   #4  
broken_mower
Thanks for the info, I'll replace it today I hope. I'll let you know how it goes. I knew I should have taken that Foley - Belsaw course years ago!
Bob

Visiting Guest

06-10-04, 08:37 AM   #5  
broken_mower
Thank you cheese and puey61. That was the problem. I never would have thought of replacing that part. This is a great forum, lots to learn in every post, thanks again.........................

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-04, 09:51 PM   #6  
Allright! Glad you got it fixed!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread